cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am i being told lies

N/A

Am i being told lies

I recently did a scan with xoftspy it told me i had a couple of viruses.I searched for them in google and found links on how to remove manually.To my surprise i can not find any of the folders or registry paths on the links..... :?

So was xoft telling me lies and trying to get me to buy there product Evil

My broaadband connection has been slow recently but not sure what to blame

Any help will be great thanks Cool
12 REPLIES
N/A

Am i being told lies

Hi there,

For excellent information and advice on this and other security problems, including information on some great free AV and anti spyware products see Peters tutorial here.

There are better and more reliable products out there than what you are using.
N/A

Am i being told lies

im useing avg anti virus, ad-aware se personal, spybot seek and destroy, antivir guard and spywareblaster

I used to have zone alarm pro but i was fed up with it telling me to block itself I could not understand why it would do that.......trying stuff on the list right now hopefully it will prove usefull thank you very much for your response Cheesy
N/A

Am i being told lies

You are using all the recommended products at the moment.

If they tell you you are in the clear then, providing those products are fully up to date, you should be fine.

A firewall is crucial. If you are not currently running one, I suggest you do so fairly soon.
N/A

Am i being told lies

im using the windows one.as i said i dont trust zonealarm Evil .

is there one you would recommend :?: .
I trust the windows firewall bacause it has caught hackers before when running zonealarm at the same time it did not pick it up.

I once used a programme called adaware away Cheesy when my comp was over run with viruses it cleared the lot but was a 7 day trial. Sad ..all my other stuff found what adaware away did but could not remove it like it did Cheesy

i just dont know whether the demo versions are trying to cheat me or not and telling me i have sommit there but cant locate manually its so annoying...usually everthing i have picks it up im all up to date the computer world is more than evil :twisted:
N/A

Am i being told lies

im using the windows one.as i said i dont trust zonealarm Evil .

is there one you would recommend :?: .

Zone alarm is a far better firewall that the windows firewall. As a suggestion I would try either, Jetico, Kerio or Sygate.

Are you running anti-virus software eg. NOD32, Norton etc.?
N/A

Am i being told lies

He is using AVG (free) Aaron, and as you say the windows xp firewall is not really up to the job. Stick with Zone Alarm, tillbgoode and learn how to use it or try some of the alternatives suggested by Aaron or the turorial.

A good firewall is not an option, it is a must.

From personal experience, AVG 7, Spybot S&D and Adaware SE personal have kept my home systems virus and spyware/malware free for years. With those three working together and regularly updated you should be as safe as you can get.
N/A

Replying Re: Xoftspy bit sneeky,Ivan

Hi tillbgoode,

Although I already have good quality anti virus software on my machine I was looking for a freeware program to help detect trojen hourse infections and came across xoftspy, it initially looked like it was what I wanted so I downloaded a copy & installed it (so far so good).

Once installed I ran the program and Yes! low & behold it discovered & reported a couple of nasties that required removal. But hey! heres the catch xoftspy wouldnt automatically remove the items it found, which if I wasnt an experienced computer user would probably have frightened the living day lights out of me. To be fare it did say the fully licensed program (purchased product) would remove nasties automatically like other scanners such as AdAware.

This is just a sneeky trick to get users to buy their product and I didnt like the way it was done. So to conclude I removed the items manually & ran Adaware SE to check all was clear. I removed xoftspy immediately after this and I wouldnt recommend this program just due to the sneeky way it was designed to catch users out.

**I use ZoneAlarm personal firewall (version 2.6.231 about 5years old now) this is a brilliant product and the main benefit of ZA is that once configured correctly its rock solid and reliable. Set it & Forget it!!

**The most valuable thing about ZoneAlarm is that it uses a firewall technique called stateful packet inspection which is different from other personal firewalls which tend to use a method called packet filtering or application filtering. Stateful packet inspection is a very very tough method & is extremely hard for hackers,crackers or script kiddies to break.

Yes! ZA requires that you configure it correctly to begin with, programs require the correct permissions but once done it should work fine & protect you too a very high degree.

**The other key benefit of ZA is that once installed & configured it should put itself into stealth mode so it cannot be seen bye hackers (so to them your machine is cloaked i.e. it cannot be seen or even pinged). You can even test ZA to see if this is the case, bye using one of the security websites that performs a port scan on your machine. ZA never has ever failed these tests on my system.

**Microsoft's XP built in firewall is NOT only extremely user unfriendly but I read that it is limited to blocking inbound connections only. If you installed ZoneAlarm for example on XP I'd suggest that you disable i.e. turn off the built in XP firewall. NOP!! I'm a big ZoneAlarm fan & ZA knocks the spots of Microsofts offering theres no comparison really!.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Re: Replying Re: Xoftspy bit sneeky,Ivan

Microsoft's XP built in firewall is NOT only extremely user unfriendly but I read that it is limited to blocking inbound connections only.

This is correct, MS XP firewall only blocks incoming connections, it also uses an application control layer to decide which applications can get access to the web.

As Ivan has already said, there really isn't any contest between ZA and XP Firewall. ZA is streets ahead.

My only grip about ZA is the lack of advanced rules for applications, and system apps.
N/A

Am i being told lies

Just to point out "stealth" mode is just a word being used to fool those who are uneducated (unlukeh gadget!)

Stealth means the ports do not reply at all to packets (this is NOT what happens if the box is not there)
Closed means the box replies to certain packets, but in a way to say they are not OPEN.

Both basicaly do the same thing, as a hacker // scanner will be able to pick up the blackhole that is "stealth" and say "hey there is a box here". thus pointless

Oh and all firewalls are useless Smiley
N/A

Am i being told lies

I do understand a firewall is needed what i never understood with zonealarm is that it was always telling me to block it, even when i allowed it it still prompted me to block it :?

i looked up sites to manually remove the problems but i could never locate the files to remove that they said about.I also downloaded a programme which shows you what registry files should be there and which ones shouldnt, all looked fine.

I will look in to the other firewalls maybe even try zonealarm again..thanks for everyones input I really appreciate it thanks again Cool
N/A

Am i being told lies

Just to point out "stealth" mode is just a word being used to fool those who are uneducated

I'm not sure unducated would be the best way to describe it. Stealth is not a totally accurate term but people understand what it means.

Stealth/Closed is safe anyway, even if a hacker can pick up the box, they cannot get access.

Oh and all firewalls are useless Smiley

hmmm, don't agree with you there. Yes all software firewalls on the market can currently be bypassed (outbound), but hardware firewalls are a different matter. In addition with good application/process control software e.g. Process Guard, it very difficult to bypass software firewalls.
N/A

Replying Oh!! and firewalls are VERY usefull

Hi again,

Buzzons wrote:
Oh and all firewalls are useless

NOP!! I dont agree with you at all, that's definiately NOT my experience with the use of ZA over the last five years of internet computing. My machine would have been trashed many many time's long ago but for my trusty copy of ZoneAlarm.

I think for the ordinary home user or SOHO user, using an internet connected PC or laptop a software firewall like ZA is not just desirable but essential. Most users or advanced users cannot afford the likes of a PIX hardware firewall so come on what is the most logical alternative to a hardare firewall a software firewall like ZA or Sygate etc.

Its better to have something than nothing, I've personally seen what happens if you dont have any firewalling in place, your machine gets virus infected in nano seconds that what happens!! I know what choice I'd rather make firewall or no firewall.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User