cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative ISP

N/A

Alternative ISP

I have been thinking of moving away from PlusNet after 3 years because of all the recent problems, peak time management, confusion of times, promises of things improving but.... etc. It's a shame because there is much about PN that I really like. Does anybody have any experience of SeriouslyInternet?
http://www.seriouslyinternet.com/203.0.html
They are advertising an unlimited service (just like the one I originally signed up for here :roll: ) at £27.99 a month but they also have a very useful option of a service for £14.99 which increases in cost as your usage increases but when you hit the level that takes it to £27.99 it then becomes unlimited. This could be handy for the times that little is downloaded and when one is away and therefore not using the service.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Alternative ISP

Hi there,

As this post is seeking recommendations / comments on another SP I am moving it to Everything Internet.

This forum is for Community Support and feedback on Plus Nets products and services.
Community Veteran

Alternative ISP

I'd like to make a point before you make any rash decisions, IMHO I believe that if things keep going the way they are going there will be no ISP that uses the BT network that offers an uncapped service, the way BTw charges for connections means that ISPs will be forced into either capcity based charging to customers like BTw charge to ISPs or this form of capping or soft capping, I am willing to put up with the changes and all the fuss only because i currently believe that over the next few months PN will sort themselves out and will be ahead of the rest in terms of network providing

In saying this if you are still wanting to move then many people recommend www.zen.co.uk
N/A

Alternative ISP

I am in fact pretty undecided for exactly those reasons. I have already got my MAC key but may not use it. When the automatic shaping comes in things may indeed improve if it will work as I have so far understood i.e. there will be throttling when needed but when the capacity is there it will automatically make it available and there will be no more blanket management. Ah well, decisions, decisions.
N/A

Alternative ISP

Wise words from Andy indeed.

With the way BT's charging model works, ISP's including the mighty Zen will have to look at the way they buy and provide capacity. it is not cheap. Zen at the minute are having problems, some of which are BT related but many are down to inhouse issues or problems.

ISP's like Zen are attracting heavy users in fairly large numbers. Something will have to give. Either traffic slows, is managed or they pour shed loads of money into capacity. The first option is disaster, the latter is the road to takeover or bankruptcy.

Even the LLU providers are going to be forced to look at capacity and management issues and every month we hear of more and more ISP's capping, managing , booting people off or restricting in some way or another.

So be careful, the grass may not be as green as it looks. Smiley