cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate ISPs / Monthly contracts

N/A

Given the usage management debacle, the idea of moving to a less restrictive ISP seems like a sensible idea. With more and more services becoming available on the 'net, the idea of staying with Plus looks less and less like money well spent.

Can anyone tell me if ISPs like Demon, Zen or, dare I say it, AOL offer monthly contracts and are to all intents and purposes 'unlimited' ?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

These boards are for community support regarding PlusNets products and services and are not for discussing the services offered by other providers.

As such I am moving this thread to everything internet.
pgudge
Grafter

Zen is a fav. amongst ex-PN customers.

Just found these http://www.karoo.co.uk

And many friends have moved to https://www.e7broadband.com and have never suffered from the problems people claim e7broadband have.

Plus, e7broadband have a cool feature, where if you are plagued with band net access or no access at all problems, they credit your account with a free month, or the time you've been down. So some months are completely free (this has happend twice in 1 year to a friend for about 10 hours downtime.)
N/A

Thanks for that gudge. I have to say that currently, and as much as it pains me to say it (!!), AOL is looking a favourite.

How does the MAC thing work with PN? does it take a month to get or can you get the code and move straight away, albeit paying PN another months (30 days) notice fee?
pgudge
Grafter

I have never done it, but being its the last chance they have to stiff you, anything could happen Smiley

No idea to be honest, never moved, Moved home and it takes upto 10 days, not sure it this would include the reqesting and moving of a MAC code though.
N/A

Freedom2Surf £24.99 - Uncapped - up to 8Mbit

Which yes, is £3 a month more than my plus net "Premier up to 2Mbit” (capped) account, but £3 for being uncapped and up to 4 times faster... Yeah I've just requested a MAC code.
pgudge
Grafter

Freedom2Surf £24.99 - Uncapped - up to 8Mbit
Do Freedom2Surf have static IP? Sounds like a good offer. and £3 a month extra is worth it for uncapped, for sure.
N/A

Yes, apparently you can also request a block, but I can't see anything on there site about that
N/A

hi guys
well i had this today saying i had exceeded my limits for broadband plus checked it and its 1.79gb usage in totalfor the month thats about a third of a film i think i will be off soon.

.............................................................................................................
It has come to our attention that your usage so far this month has exceeded
the product design of Broadband Plus. To enable us to monitor your usage in
more detail you have been assigned a static IP address. There will be no
further changes to your service at this time.

In December we published an update on PlusNet's vision for 2006 and, as
stated, we have now implemented improved network management to help us deal
more effectively with heavy usage customers. This ensures that all
customers receive the service they are paying for. Customers downloading
more than the product is designed for will see downloads at peak times get
progressively slower as this usage continues.
pgudge
Grafter

This ensures that all customers receive the service they are paying for.

LMAO They forgot the "BUT" on the end of their statement.
avalon
Grafter

hi guys
well i had this today saying i had exceeded my limits for broadband plus checked it and its 1.79gb usage in totalfor the month thats about a third of a film i think i will be off soon.

I don't think that's right, you should raise a ticket querying it. According to the updated statement released recently you shouldn't get an e-mail until you go over 5Gb in a month.
N/A

Hi guys,
I am a Premier user. My usage is about 13gb a month which is not unreasonable for a 2mg Premier user. Am I alone in saying that peer-peer has been dire for the last month. I don't want restrictions and this is not good enough, just so that PlusNet can make more money out of all the new technology. Anyone else recommend another ISP besides Freedom2Surf that doesn't have any capping or downgraded peer-peer at peak times. I don't mind paying more for a better service than PlusNet want to provide.
Meanwhile I'll look closely at moving to Freedom2Surf . Obviously, PlusNet no longer want us.