cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow FTP access

N/A

Allow FTP access

Hi,

how do I allow access to my FTP space to allow downloads/Uploads to it?

Thanks
Gary
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Allow FTP access

Gary

Not quite sure what you mean here. You already have access to your webspaces by using an FTP agent such as cuteFTP or you can get there direct without using an agent but its not as convenient.
You will be asked for you login name and password as part of the logging on procedure.
However you can only get to your cgi space on the criticalmass server if you are connected via Plusnet.
Your normal space can be accessed from outside the system.

Hope this answers your question
N/A

Allow FTP access

My guess is he is trying to allow public access to his FTP space. This is simply not possible, and is not intended for this purpose.

FTP isn't the warez tools people think it is. It's a OLD and insecure method of transfering files from point A to B. In the case of +Net, this is to upload and download your web-site and/or CGI scripts.

As for running an FTP on your system, this is down to you. You will have to configurare the software you have ontained, according to the unstructions provided with the software. You will also need to make sure any port forwarding takes place, and that firewalls rules are ammended for FTP purposes.[/code]
Community Veteran

Allow FTP access

You could just consider setting up a HTACCESS prtected directory if it's just a case of allowing only certain people to access certain files.

Info in the support section of the portal will tell you how to do this. It will then give you a password prompt in the directory you have protected, it has the advantage of being webbased too so it's simple to use once it's setup.

Chris
N/A

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

wanted to send some large files to mum in Canada, files are too big to 'Send File' in MSN.

Gary
Community Veteran

Allow FTP access

htaccess would probably be your simplest solution, check the support pages and if you get any probs just shout.

Chris
Community Veteran

Re: Thanks

Thanks Guys,

wanted to send some large files to mum in Canada, files are too big to 'Send File' in MSN.

Gary

Now I know what you are trying to achieve this is not a problem.

Just post the pictures up to a directory in your web space and then email Mum with the URL.
She can then go to your site, open the pictures and copy them to her machine.

I have done this with a load of photo's from one of my sailing holidays. if you go to http://www.johnessex.plus.com/greece you will be able to see what I mean.
Mine are of course viewable by anyone but you can make the folder protected if you want.