cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ahead Software "In CD" cant read disc!

N/A

"In CD" by Ahead software comes with Nero cd burning software.
I filled a CDRW disc with pictures when using Win98 but now I have changed to Win XP I cannot read nor view the files on the CD.Is there anyway I can recover the data without having to find so,meone running Win 98 please. I have tried everything and searched the web for answers.

All help will be appreciated
thanks
Peter
15 REPLIES
N/A

how are you trying to read it?
N/A

What software did you use to write the CD in the first place ?

Somehthing you mght care to try is MagicISO to read the CD. http://www.magiciso.com/index.htm
N/A

The software used to writ the CD was "INCD" by ahead software - comes with "Nero",

I have tried to read it with the same software and also with a later version.
Peter
N/A

Also when I try to read it I get a text fille come up which says this requires an OS that supports ISO 13346 "UDF". I have downloaded a UDF viewer but still no results
N/A

see if you can find updated hardware drivers (firmware) for your CD drive
N/A

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/res...

have u checked that link? (and i know its fo 2K but XP and 2K are like linked so it may be usefull)
N/A

All that says is that Win 2K can't write UDF volumes, but can read them. XP can do both.

I can only suggest a bug with Nero in this case. have you made sure Nero is updated from the Ahead.de website?
N/A

Well it could have been a bug but does anyone know if CDRWs can deteriorate and become unreadable after a while, they are probably three years old and it is only those affected. Other CDRs from the same time are ok it is just the ones done with the drag and drop packet writing that are unreadable.
The CDs were for backup but the original appears to have outlasted them, nothing is lost and I have been persueing this for interest sake and to learn what I can and I thank you all for your contributions and hope it may be of interest to others
thanks again
Community Veteran

Yes CD's can deteriorate over time, especially the OEM brands. Which I why I always stick with well known brands like Imation for all CDR and CDRW media.
N/A

:shock: I expected this of CDRW but would have thought CDR are less likely to deteriorate.

Is there any measurement into how quickly this happens? I thought CD's would last for years if well treated.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Ah but what does 'well treated' mean. Some CDR's require light or they will break down. So, storing them in jewel cases in cupboards, you may think you are storing them correctly but it may not be the case for some brands.

See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/01/cdrs_deliver_degrading_experience/

CDRWs may well suffer the same fate.
N/A

I wasn't aware that some need light, so I'll bear this in mind.

I don't lock mine away in some dark cupboard, so they are exposed to some light but I'll take a look at the link. As your treating them well, I meant from a handling perspective.

So does the same apply for readonly and re-writeable DVD's?

Aaron
Community Veteran

Not seen any articles on the reliablility of DVDs. I suspect they have not been around long enough to be tested yet. I don't even know if the same methods / media is used, but if it is, I suspect the same limitations may apply.

Even the music CDs bought many years ago can degrade, so it's not just limited to CDRs or CDRWs. I have several that show a distinct colour change on the media and are now difficult to play. In many cases bad or cheap manufacturing and materials in the early days has contributed to the degradation. Whether that has changed with todays media and methods I don't know.
painswck
Grafter

Err what was the original topic .....