cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on setting up web server on home machine

N/A

Hope someone can advise on this.
I want to set up a website on my pc at home.
I already have a site hosted on PN but this new one is to be
just for family members for photos and file transfer.

It does not have to have a proper name or be in any way connected with my existing website.

So far I have installed IIs with all settings at default, put an index.htm in webroot and verified that it works when i browse localhost. I have forwarded my PN assigned ip address (port 80) to my local machine (192.168.0.2) and set zone alarm to allow internet services. I just cant seem to connect.
When I try and browse http:// my ip eddress it just trys to log into my router. When I try and connect using an external proxy server
(Anonymouse) it cant connect . If I check the router log it shows the attempted connection with the proxy and reports that it hs forwarded it to the right machine.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm using XP pro and a Netgear dg834g router. Did anyone manage to get IIS working on this combo.
Should I give up and become a plumber ?

Any help appreciated

Rod
16 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

If you do give up, would you mind coming and fixing our heating :lol:

Is it possible IIS is just listening on localhost, and not globally?
Community Veteran

i.e. listening on 127.0.0.1 (port 80) instead of 192.168.0.2 (port 80) or whatever port you have chosen for IIs to listen on.

Also try with ZA disabled and see if that helps. Even though you have alloed access, it may still be blocking access.
N/A

IIS :S use apache :p
N/A

I have a similar combination, IIS & DG834 and it all works just fine.

Edit: On saying that, my website seems to be down, but then that might be because I forgot to switch on my PC. :shock:
Community Veteran

Can you browse to it from the same machine or another machine on the same lan by using its internal IP address? You will always get the router config screen using the public ip address from the same lan, the only way to access it should be via the interal ip address or netbios name, when connecting from external try using the public ip and also try from username.plus.com (note the lack of www before it) and both should work.
If it still doesnt work make sure IIS is setup correctly and the correct port number is in use (you could try it on a different port such as 8080 which would stop the problem of your router interfering too).

Chris
N/A

Thanks for the response guys.
Still no luck with this thing.

From another PC on my lan http://computername works fine.
from the pc with the webserver insatalled either http://computername or http://localhost works

When trying to browser from outside the system no connection is being made. if you want to try its http://rodsmith.plus.com

I guess it must be something set wrong somewhere but where ?
Plumbing is easier - just follow the pipes !!

In Hope
Rod
N/A

Is it something as simple as Windows Firewall getting in the way?
N/A

I don't have the XP fire wall enabled so it should not be that.

Did you have to change any settings under default website?
I have just left everything at it default. I did wonder about IP address setting the default is "all unassigned"

Rod
N/A

unless your pc is turned off you have no port 80 open. I did a quick scan and theort was closed time 11:40
N/A

Yes it was off - I had gone to bed.

It will be on all day to day though till about 11pm anyway.

Rod
N/A

I wouldn't leave the IP Address as "All Unassigned", change it to your NAT IP Address 192.168.0.1 or whatever.
N/A

Thanks for the suggestion. I've set it to 192.168.0.2 which is the address of the machine with the server.
192.168.0.1 is the router so I guess I should not set it to that.

I just tried to connect to it via a proxy but with no luck.

Any other settings I should check?

Tia

Rod
N/A

Hey I just made it work !!
I won't have to be a plumber after all.

It was Zone alarm - although its set to allow web services it is blocking it for some reason.

Thanks again everyone

Rod
N/A

Try this ...

Open the IIS MMC snap-in (Start / Administrative Tools / Internet Information Services)

Expand your Web site, right click it and then select "All Tasks / Recalculate Web"

Edit: Good Show!