cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Zone and Kapersky

N/A

Having kicked Norton into touch and decided (with help from here and elsewhere) to go for Zone Alarm and Kapersky Antivirus I'd like a little advice please.

I am connected with a Solwise SAR130 router and use Mozilla 1.7. Is it worthwhile paying for Zone Alarm Pro as opposed to the free Zone Alarm, similarly is Kapersky AntiVirus Personal Pro worth the extra over the non pro?

TIA
7 REPLIES
N/A

ZA no way.. go for sygate
KAV yes yes yes yes Smiley pay for it for sure.. it rules so much Smiley
N/A

Careful! When I looked at KAV recently, its literature implied that it only supported a number of e-mail clients, but that list did NOT include Mozilla or Thunderbird. So I e-mailed Kapersky who confirmed that the 5.0 version of KAV does NOT support the Thunderbird client (didn't ask about Mozilla) and so scanning of incoming mail would not work.

Shame, but this kicked it into touch for me. Went with Avast! Pro instead and am not sorry (so far).
N/A

omg ur pissing me ? why the hell would they do thatHuh? *hits KAV*

you can always scan the temp folder it downloads the mail to Wink its what i do.. *shrug*
N/A

Kaspersky used to be really good, but the latest version 5.0 really sucks. Stay away from it, till they get all the bugs ironed out.

I've had kaspersky for about a year, and 4.5 was great but they upgraded to 5.0 and it's just a whole world of trouble.

Version 5,0 will slow your machine down, fall over, increase fragmentation and will stop system restore from working. I'm sure they will get it fixed, but I've gone over to NOD32 instead.

That all said, their firewall is very good. Anti-Hacker, very powerful, easy to configure and more advanced options if you want it.
N/A

thanks gadget.. learnt somfin new.. i never knew ver5 sucked :S ill stop recomending it now.
N/A

Oh dear, as soon as I decide on an anti virus and firewall someone points out problems. :?
I must admit that I had Norton 2002, with which I had no problems, however I had to rebuild and lost it, now because I purchased by download I cannot reload.
So thought I'd go onto pastures new, but the chioce is soooo confusing.
Thanks all for your responces.
N/A

NOD32 is very good and I'm very impressed. Mcafee is quite good as well. Norton seems to have picked up their game, as they've gotten reasonable reviews of late. F-Secure is also good.

There is a lot of choice, but here is a link that might help you.
Anti Virus Magazine

It details all the latest anti-vrius tests, and how each program performed etc.

Hope it helps