cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding my site to a search engine

N/A

How can i get my site on google, yahoo etc.

I want people to be able to search for my site and don't know how to do it. Ive heard something about meta tags :? What are they and what do they doHuh
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

http://portal.plus.net/tools.html?action=site_submit is a basic PlusNet submit tool but to limited search engines (not google).

Try searching google - you want your site in it so use it to find out how - found these::

http://www.submitcorner.com/Tools/Submit/

http://www.evrsoft.com/fastsubmit/

and many many more.

Meta tags can be used by search engines to match your site to a search. Click on edit->view source and you will see what meta-tags are like for this webpage.
N/A

Excellent, cheers Smiley
Community Veteran

Just a couple of facts I've picked up about Google:

• Don't bother with meta tags - Google bases its results on a page's body, not header.
  • Try and get your site mentioned on as many sites as possible - that is how Google judges a site's popularity, thus determining how high up the results you are.
Thomas
N/A

The "old days" of going to a search engine and submitting your site free are over. To ensure you get listed you now have to pay.
You can try programmes like "Submission Wizard", but don't blame me when you get inundated with spam emails.
N/A

The "old days" of going to a search engine and submitting your site free are over. To ensure you get listed you now have to pay.
You can try programmes like "Submission Wizard", but don't blame me when you get inundated with spam emails.

My recent experience is that Google does pick up www.domain.com web-sites without any payment being necessary. But I do not know if Google is so accommodating with www.xxxx.plus.com sites. It is desirable to use one of the online code validation tests, to ensure that the HTML is correct. And if there are links, use an online checker to test for broken links.

I agree that caution is required using third-party submission tools. In addition to the danger of spam, there is at least one submission programme that requires you to assign copyright, which seems outrageous.

Alan Law
N/A

It took 6 months for Google to display my .co.uk address on a search.
Non of the other main search engines list it, despite some manual submissions.
The xxx.plus.com has never appeared.
zpeterk
Grafter

we have managed to get a xxx.plus.com site to be found by google after 3 months
N/A

Search Engine Positioning

I've designed about a dozen websites for friends and have found that you just have to persevere to get listed. Submit every three months or so.

:idea: I also use a Hotmail account as the contact e-mail on the site submission forms to help eliminate Spam.

Meta Tags are useful but will only help with those Search Engines that automatically 'Spider' the web looking for keywords. Human-based Search Engines will rely on the first few words in your title. (A tip here is to use appropriate Text somewhere at the top of the page rather than all graphics, as this will be picked up on.)

What I want to know is, now that I have the sites listed, how does one go about getting the listing onto the first page without paying?

(PS I've heard that even if you do pay, you're still not guaranteed a first page position!)
N/A

Re: Search Engine Positioning

What I want to know is, now that I have the sites listed, how does one go about getting the listing onto the first page without paying?

Google use an alphabetical listing. For example in the title of the index page if you want to be listed under medical, then try medical anonymous analogy analyst.

That would get you near the top of the listing under medical.
N/A

Do you mean on the first page of a search engine Huh without paying Huh

Answer - almost impossible.

Unless, for Google, you title the page with some very obscure text that no one else will have thought of :-

AARDVARKS4YOU