cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accesing your work PC

N/A

Accesing your work PC

As I have ADSL I can't dial into my works servers to sort problems out, is there any way I can do this over the internet, one that does not cost an arm anda leg

Thanks

Tony
7 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Accesing your work PC

If your work offered a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) option you could make use of that over the internet on ADSL. However, i only know how to use one, not set one up Smiley
N/A

Accesing your work PC

If you have a win2k server or windows xp at work its dead easy simple use terminal server. This logs you on at work as though you were siting in front of the pc and then you can get at all the network etc.

It is very fast even if you use 56k. in xp simply use the remote connection in xp and put in the ip of the server at work and as long as the por tis open you are in.

You dont need any vpn or other stuff. To connect to a win2k server with TS you must have admin account
N/A

Accesing your work PC

I agree with mwright totally, I utilise this myself to gain remote access to my work network for administration. There is even a linux client available Cheesy

There is a slight security risk however, depending on how you have set up your Terminal Services. In my case I tunnel through a VPN to the work machine.
N/A

Accesing your work PC

If you are on NT4 and dont have any xp pc's your main options are a remote control package like VNC(free), pcanywere,laplink. All work fine but not as good as TS
Community Veteran

Accesing your work PC

I like VNC, we run it on most remote machines in work for support purposes. We also use PCAnywhere but I think its a bit of a waste of money.

I've recently found a peice of software called Dameware Mini Remote control, it pushes itself onto the remote machine you want to control and from the tests we have done in work it goes right through ZoneAlarm. Although you do need an admin account to use it.

Chris
N/A

Accesing your work PC

Hi where can I find VNC

Tony

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote removed, as it was an unecessary duplicate of the entire of the previous post.]
N/A

Accesing your work PC

hi, there r many versions of vnc, i use TightVNC u can use to stable version, or there is a beta version with some cool features

johnathan