cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG7 fun

Community Veteran

AVG7 fun

Our local Vicar brought me his PC today to see if I could fix a problem he was having with AVG7.
He had done an update from version and told me that he thought he had made a mess of it as it kept saying his virus data base was not up to date.

So I tried to update it and sure enough it downloaded the latest version but the red was still showing on the local database and saying it was still out of date.

Ok so I removed the version he had installed and did a fresh install along with updating to the latest virus files.
Still showing out of date!!!

Next I uninstalled again and this time deleted the remaing folders manualy for good measure
Reinstalled again then updated once more.
Aaagh Still showing database out of date.

Right time to get serious. Uninstalled again, deleted any folders left and then did a regedit looking for anything called grisoft or AVG. There were an awful lot of entries in the registry that I deleted.

Reinstalled yet again and did the updates.
Yes youve guessed it. The damn database was still showing as out of date.
How could this be??

I had definately removed any trace of the original and the last install was as clean as they get.??

Then the penny dropped Cool I clicked on the date and time on the task bar only to find that the date was set to 13th Jan 2006 Tongue No wonder the program kept thinking it was out of date (1 year out) :x

So if you ever have a problem getting the AVG database to clear then check the PC time and date. It could save you a lot of wasted effort. Cheesy
7 REPLIES
N/A

AVG7 fun

Cheesy lol, I've seen this happen before, when I used to do PC support, and it's often the most obvious things "we" overlook Sad
N/A

AVG7 fun

done it for MS windows update :S said it was wrong and could not get the updates.. spent ages trying to work out why! damn clock!

Buz
N/A

AVG7 fun

if its anything like zone alarm, I know different type, you may find one or two folders in the windows directory, just a thought
N/A

AVG7 fun

I had the same trouble yesterday - had a big-time crash and after restarting, AVG flashed up the Internal database out of date message. Downloaded update - no good; re-installed - no good. Then I checked the date and it was at January 2003; fixed that and all Okay.
But why would a crash change the date?
Community Veteran

AVG7 fun

Was the date you had the problem Jan 3 or was this just the date it started up with?

Could be that the crash caused the RTC (Real time clock) to be reset on the mobo to the wrong date, or your mobo battery needs to be replaced. A bad battery would normally show an incorrect date whenever you startup so if that is not happening, I suspect a corruption on the mobo RTC.
N/A

AVG7 fun

Before the crash, the date was correct, but not January 3 2003- Feb 1 2005, I think. After the crash, the date was January 3 2003. I don't think the battery is at fault as the computer keeps time normally, so I suppose it must have been the crash that caused it.
N/A

AVG7 fun

Cheesy lol, I've seen this happen before, when I used to do PC support, and it's often the most obvious things "we" overlook Sad

Yep, that sounds awfully familiar :lol: Caught me out a time or two at work (we use AVG7 Pro) before I finally cottoned on and checked the date/time settings (some of our older PCs have bios batteries on their last legs).

GM