cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG7 buggy today 13th after a patch @ mid-day

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you cant auth on any pop3 account, looks like the patch that arrived around 12pm our time was buggy. It caused my AVG to fail to connect to any pop3 account i have until I had rebooted, think it had closed off a port it needed so refused to connect.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
11 REPLIES
N/A

Thanks for the warning. I have the patches downloaded, but got lazy and decided to leave work early, leaving the updates until tomorrow (when I could schecual a remote update).

We pretty much have a varied network setup with AVG7.

A server with no e-mail plugin, and four clients, one without any e-mail, one with outlook, one with OE and one with The Bat!.

Considering the user with OE is the heaviest user of them all, there would have been trouble with the scanner plugin went down.

The one gripe I have about AVG7, is that you can't control the default for the EMS plugin, or via remote profile in AVGADMIN.

Anyhow, have you reported the problem?
Community Veteran

yep did that after trawling the AVG error logs, outlook wasn't so helpful with its error logs. But AVG gave me the hint it was to blame as I had manually updated at midday and after that it failed. When my other pc which is still using AVG6 free worked perfectly.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
richard-
Grafter

Thanks I have AVG 7.0 I will leave the update for today... Smiley
N/A

Just before reading your message I'd checked for and applied your message. My pop3 still seems fine, maybe they've corrected it?
Community Veteran

well all I know is I updated at 12 ish today and didn't look at outlook again until 4pm, then noticed the error logs in outlook. Checked my settings all where correct, tried on my old pc with AVG6 it worked first time.

So tried to update again and got another set of definitions and patch, still the same after it. It still failed cause a port was blocked. Then restarted AVG and tried again, still nothing. Checked my FW hadn't blocked it and nothing there in the auto rules.

Then finally rebooted which cleared what ever was the problem
N/A

Are you using the Outlook plugin or the EMS (generic) plugin?

If it was the Outlook plugin, that may have been your problem.

When a update is made to the plugin, it is required that a reboot takes place, so the files are correctly switched to.

So before the reboot, the plugin fails to work
Community Veteran

well if the patch required a reboot it never prompted as it should have, atm I'm on my 4th reply to grisoft tech support for this problem and going to bed. Might just be a windows glitch or AVG but they know about it a tleast if anyone else reports it.
N/A

AVG only requires a reboot if the core components need it, and not a plugin.

Most plugins will normaly reload ot require that the program that uses it shuts down first.

Outlook doesn't require a restart from memory, however, it does require under cirtain circumstances, that the system reboots so that files are replaced properly, that outlook loads.

I understand this to be a generic outlook and windows issue and is to be expected.

It is the same reason some files require a reboot to be deleted.

I should know more today as I sift through the update logs from other systems.
Community Veteran

well last mail from them is wanting me to get the latest build. No idea why as they didn't give a reason.

So anyone using AVG if you get auth problems look at reinstalling with the last build

File: avg70f_211.exe Version: 7.211 Date: 13 Jan 2004
N/A

We download updates at midnight and every 5 hours afterwards.

According to the logs, the update was physicaly placed on the update servers at AVG 13:15:16 GMT on the 13th.

The previous update, 209a was placed on there servers on the 16th December.

How often do you update?

Note: Those are program and core component updates. AVI file updates do not require a reboot and will ahve never caused that problem.
Community Veteran

its set to update daily early morning and to update on my lan's reconnection if it ever fails, but I do manual updates during the day as well due to the random times that patches/definitions are released.

Both updates had been Priority core updates, just the second at 4ish had both but neither required a reboot so could be the update failed to work properly but didn't show the email plugin broken

So I've reinstalled with the new build and will watch it for any repeats of this.