cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG or McAfee

N/A

AVG or McAfee

Hi all,
I've been playing with my registry and have managed to disable my AV program, thus having to reinstall. But I've found I can no longer get updates since my registration has expired, leaving me with virus definitions that are 2 years old.

I've downloaded AVG free and must say that compared to McAfee (my previous software) it seems to hog far fewer resources.

Question is, can anyone comment on the quality of AVG? I've been happy with McAfee for 2 years, but don't really want to pay out more money to get another years worth of definition updates.

Does anyone have any bad things to say about AVG or should I be quite happy using it?

TIA
Regards
Steve.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

AVG or McAfee

I used to use Mcafee but after one virus failed to be detected a week after it was known I stopped, the update hadnt had the update.

So now I use a combination of AVG and online scanners. AVG runs daily and I do Online scans once a month.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Been useing AVG for over a year now and never had any problems, it's never found anything although being set up to autoscan every 12 hours.

But the best bit is that it's FREE. :mrgreen:
N/A

AVG or McAfee

You should never rely on one scanner.

As each uses it's own scan engine, it possible that what one does detect, the other doesn't.
Community Veteran

AVG or McAfee

Personally I don't use any antivirus.

I think caution is far better than a protective sheild. I run the housecall antivirus once every couple of months round then same time I do a defrag.

Chris
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Caution should never be a alternative.

Reghardless of having AV software or not, you should allways act with caution.

Genuine downlaod sites, with games updates, legit software and other stuff, has been found to be infected with viruses.

You can't see what a program is processing, and that is what the scanners are for. To look where you can't take caution.
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Been useing AVG for over a year now and never had any problems, it's never found anything although being set up to autoscan every 12 hours.

But the best bit is that it's FREE. :mrgreen:

And never finding anything is a problem?! :lol:

Of course free is good...seems all my internet security is turning out to be free options I use Kerio firewall too (apart from the firewall on my router!)

You should never rely on one scanner.

but doesn't using more than one AV on a computer upset things? I thought I read that you should only use one of everything, apart from online resources?

Personally I don't use any antivirus.

Isn't this a bit of a risky approach?
Personally I use an AV program, hardware and software firewalls, trojan scanners and script scanners, and I still think I left something out of the mix!

Thanks for the replies, does anyone use the pro version of AVG and is it worth the price :?:

Regards
Steve
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Yes, using more than one scanner is a bad idea in some cases.

However, after reasearching items, you will find that some combinations will and some won't work.

I fidn the 1 active, and 2 online scanners are the best to me.
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Yes, using more than one scanner is a bad idea in some cases.

However, after reasearching items, you will find that some combinations will and some won't work.

I fidn the 1 active, and 2 online scanners are the best to me.

Don't think I'll go with the trial and error option of finding out what combnations work! I'll stick to one resident AV, and keep up the online scanning too.

On a completely OT point, how do you get the plusnet part of your sig?

Steve
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Use PHPBB code.

1: The quickest method is to create a new post.

2: Type the text you want in the sig

3: Highlight the parts you want formatted

4: Click on the "B" "i" "u", and colouring option above.

5: Click preview

Optionaly, you can see the code I use for mine at http://www.acarr.plus.com/prov/content/forum.sig
N/A

AVG or McAfee

Use PHPBB code.

Thanks for that, I was trying to use the html tags <> rather than BB [ ] and some guess work. Thanks for the explination, and the web link, makes it a lot clearer!
N/A

AVG or McAfee

[

Actually,and this may not be an option for XP users,but I find the combination of AVG and F-prot for DOS works fine:in fact and I don't fully understand why but if I download something suspicious F-prot jumps on it first.Perhaps someone could tell me this should be

Ian & Linda Jordan