cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG antivirus problem

N/A

AVG antivirus problem

Having just converted to broadband I can no longer seem to regualrly update my AVG antivirus software.
Every time I try to update I get an error message saying unable to establish a connection to the internet-try to connet manually. Having tried all sorts of changed settings I am no further forward. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how to resolve this problem?
thanks
29 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

AVG antivirus problem

I have the same problems. Sometimes it works... sometimes it just... doesn't. You can download the update files from AVG's site.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

Have you installed any firewall/security software recently? It's possible that this is blocking the connection between your computer and the update software.

Which version of AVG are you using, 6 or 7? Free or pro?

What connection equipment are you using (USB/PCI/Router) and what make/model is it? I guess it's possible that some sort of firewall in your equipment could be blocking this connection, but I'm not too sure.
michaelscott
Grafter

AVG antivirus problem

On my system I set my firewall to allow it and the fact that it sometimes works suggests that it is not a firewall problem. However, I can't speak for southwest999.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

I’m having the same problem, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. The problem started around the middle of the week for me. I think the problem is at Grisofts end. I have found launching IE sometimes triggers the update into life.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

AVG antivirus problem

If its the free version it always had problems with connecting to the updating site. If the retail AVG7 then I've found it rarely has that problem.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

I can confirm that.

AVG 6 uses the grisoft.cx site for all update files including the control file.

The paid versions use grisoft.com for the control file, and an alkami mirror for the actual downloads.
pcorker
Grafter

AVG antivirus problem

I had a paid V6 and I used the .cz site flawlessly for years.
I've just upgraded to 7 and that seems fine - in fact it's so fast updating on broadband I haven't a clue what its doing! I'll have to look closely!
(Actually I just had a look and it's on the cz. server)
Now to REALLY make you hate me - When I tried to pay on line the system jammed and they waived payment - just said tell everyone about us - so I am! Tongue
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

i have used the AVG 6 free version for some time and the updates have always been a little erratic. But in the last few weeks it has become impossible to update, I now use Avast antivirus which is also free and it updates itself regulary with no problems.

The installation of Avast is a little quirky but once over that it works fine, it even found a virus that AVG had let through, that may be down to inconsistent updates from AVG.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

I had actualy thought about making an AVG mirror for PlusNet. The only problem is, it would breake on each update and require a manual fix.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

Hi there,

AVG6 Free updates using the cz servers are experiencing similar problem to plus net.

Victims of their own success.

There would appear to be too many people using the update servers, more than they had bargained for hence the sporadic problems with updates over the last 10-14 days.

The problem is being looked at and will be resolved.Hopefully soon.

As stated previously the updates for AVG 7 are not affected. This is the commercial version and as such is looked after much more efficiently.

Whilst AVG 6- Free is good, 7 is excellent. Worth upgrading to.

Mark
pcorker
Grafter

AVG antivirus problem

acarr
Can you tell me if, when I have V7 Pro set to update from the .cz server, that's where it comes from or is it redirected in some way?
I only ask because I have seen several Usenet posts recommending use of the .cz server and was wondering if the choice is now irrelevant.
Thanks, Pat.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

There is little point pointing at any other update server.

When AVG (6, 6free or 7) make an update request, then it downloads a control file. This contains update information for the various component, and includes a list of download locations.

For any AVG7 server, these download locations point to an Alkami mirror. These are exteamly fast, and you should never have any trouble from these servers.

I don't think you will fidn any differance between the CZ and COM servers. Infact, the control file should be faster coming from the COM site.
N/A

AVG antivirus problem

The udates for AVG7 do not run on the same servers as AVG6 Free.

Cant remember which ones 7 use.

You shouldnt have any probs using the default udate path as this is running sweet.

mark
pcorker
Grafter

AVG antivirus problem

Thanks, guys.
Pat.