cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

I'm currently on a 30 day trial version of this, and just wondered if anyone has it; their opinions and experiences etc. I know there is a free version, but [as usual] the one you have to pay for, obviously has more features!!
feedback welcome,
cheers
kate Cheesy
32 REPLIES
N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

The free version should be adequate for "home" users.
Community Veteran

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

I use the free version and it's fab, no experience of the paid.
holdtight
Grafter

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

Hi Kate yes i would have to agree with mariglenn and Daniel ! although the paid for version does have more features your not likely to need them anyway so save yourself a few quid and use the free version

it has always had excellent reviews and i know many people that use it and its not let any nasties slip through yet that i know of
N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

I can only agree with the above - been using the free version for something like three years now and never had what I'd call a problem.

The only slight "problem", if you can call it that, is that there are two different servers for the updates. You used to be able to fiddle it to download from the one intended for paying customers, but they've stopped that now, so (very occasionally, not as a regular thing) you may find that the free server is busy, so you can't download the update right away and have to try again a bit later.

A friend of mine switched to the paid version because of this, and says that this is the only real difference she's noticed - I'm not impatient, so I'll save my money and stick with the free one!
N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

Kate,

AVG is a quality Anti-virus program. The only reason I stopped using it is because I wanted an all in one package.
I am now using http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/pc-cillin/evaluate/overview.htm
which has all you need in one piece of software.
N/A

AVG Free Version Ivan

Hello Kate,

Firstly, I tend to hold to the principal that its better to stick with dedicated tools for specific jobs and thats why I'm NOT a great fan of packages like Nortons internet security suite (also the more complex a program the more likelyhood there is of it going wrong or when you do have a problem with the product the more difficult pin pointing the problem can be). I have held to this approach for more than 12 years in IT and IMO its paid dividends in a variety of ways.

**I used to use Anti Vir which is another well written freeware anti virus program by a German software publisher (It worked well) but the main reason I changed was that the updates were rather large and involved a total program update (not just definition files or signature files) and secondly the support was rather on the thin side, sometimes downloads from the german server were slow too.

I changed over to AVG free edition for my laptop and its been good and the updates are easy to install and its a well written piece of software with excellent features. I havent looked at what you would get in the paid for version but AVG free has almost all the required features you could require, I doubte the paid for version would be much better TBH with you.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

I have used the free version for a few years now, no problems, regular updates, would recommend it.
N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

Just echoing whats said above, AVG Free Edition is a great product. Far better IMHO than any norton anti virus product
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi,

Oow Urre !! steady on dezyboy I dont know about AVG Free being better than a paid for OEM Version of Norton Anti Virus 2005? I think your stetching it abit there IMO. But AVG free is good I'll definately agree with that no problem.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

From a somewhat biased standpoint Ivan (as an AVG reseller), I would agree with dezyboy.

AVG is less buggy, less likely to have issue with other software and less resource intensive.

I loathe Norton products as do many others in the industry.

I do acknowledge that millions disagree but that is my very humble opinion. Smiley
johnmglen
Grafter

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

I am a new AVG Free version user. I think that the company that provides it should be commended as it is truly taking security seriously. Norton seemed very laborious in comparison, slow scans, slow downloads (clean interface though) but that alone cannot beat a free product. AVG seems to have far more regular updates too, can't recommend it enough.
N/A

Re: Norton Ivan

Hello,

I have to somewhat disagree on the point made about Norton. OK!, I agree that some Symantec & Norton products are NOT perfect and yes! do have some problems. Especially when it comes to removals or if you are performing a restore like in windows XP, yes! I have encountered these kind of issues myself.

NOP!! I still remain of the opinion that your basic Norton anti virus program is an excellent product, I didnt have any problems with the user interface its pretty intuitive IMO, configuration was very quick & easy, No! the updates are very quick & install without any fuss or bother. I have used Norton for several years and have found it to be a trustworthy product. Well contacting Symantec for support IS definately a complete pain but I suspect thats a common experience with many companies not just symantec though.

**I'm still using Norton 2002 AV and just pay for the updates on a yearly basis which only cost me something like £15 for the year.

**As for AVG free its also an excellent product too there is no doubte in my mind about that. I definately have no hesitation in recommending it too other users if you need a freeware AV program.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
craigbrass
Grafter

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

Well I have tried AGV, Norton and McAfee and I must say, McAfee is the best and easiest to use in my opinion. We deployed it on all the machines at our work. They are also good and fair in their pricing for multi-licencing.
johnmglen
Grafter

AVG Antivirus; opinions?

Well I have tried AGV, Norton and McAfee and I must say, McAfee is the best and easiest to use in my opinion. We deployed it on all the machines at our work. They are also good and fair in their pricing for multi-licencing.

Every McAfee product I have touched has screwed up my system. I hate McAfee with a passion.