cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG 7 - yes another problem!

penneck
Grafter

I have been running AVG 6 Free for some months - no problem. Now its no longer supported, I've tried updating to AVG 7 Free. This seems to cut my connection to the net totally, so that I cant get or send e-mails, and cant even get the Internet Explorer window to the Binatone "Connected" view - the 192.168.1.2 number appears in the address line, but I get the "This page cannot be displayed" message.

Have had to go back to AVG 6 Free.

I have Win 98 SE and Zone Alarm (which I have ticked the first 2 entries for all 3 AVG lines).

Any suggestions, please.

Graham Penneck
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I know it doesnt help you but the machine I am typing this on has Win98se and AVG 7 and Zone Alarm.
E mails etc all work Ok.

Have you tried taking out the firewall just to see if its causing a problem?
Community Veteran

Try uninstalling AVG 6 free completely, rebooting and trying a fresh install of AVG 7 free. Sometimes doing updates messing things up.
Community Veteran

Looks like AVG 6 has a new life:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/4

Also there have been many reports that AVG 7 free crashes and it's scan time is very much slower than AVG 6 free.
penneck
Grafter

Thanks to all. Have removed Zone Alarm, and then installed AVG 7 Free. Found I could access Mailwasher and Internet, without apparent problems.

Then reinstalled Zone Alarm, - result was I lost access to Mailwasher and Internet again.

At the moment I am running AVG 7 without Zone Alarm. Would like to find a way of being able to use Zone Alarm as well. However, I'm a bit of a thickie on computers, so I may need simple instructions.

Thanks in anticipation

Graham
N/A

uninstall ZA, and install sygate personal firewall ^_^ problem should solve its self (I hope) -- what version of ZA are you running?
penneck
Grafter

Thankyou Buzzons.

Am using the latest free edition of Zone Alarm (5.5.062.004).

Haven't tried Sygate yet. Will see what happens.
Community Veteran

Ok I've managed to simulate your problem.
It's all down to Zone Alarm being set at it's default which is high on the "Firewall Main" page.
If you reduce this to medium it all works properly.
penneck
Grafter

Success!!!!!!!!

Thankyou John. I did as you suggested - changed the Firewall to 'Medium', and it worked. Fantastic.

My thanks also to Peter and Buzzons for their help.

Graham
Community Veteran

High for what john, Internet zone or trusted zone?

Internet zone must be set to high or most of the protection ZA gives is lost. Trusted should be set to medium.
Community Veteran

Unfortunately its the Internet zone that needs to be set to medium with Win 98SE. Sad
On my machines running XP its ok on high but for some reason the 98 machine stops looking for email if set to high.
Im just doing a reinstall of everything on the 98 one so I will explore further as this reinstall progresses and see if that alters anything. Smiley
Community Veteran

Ok as promised here is the results from a clean install of Windows98 SE

1. Windows installed
2. Drivers for video crd etc installed
3. Internet connection set up over local network.
4. IE and OE updated done from Microsoft site.
5. Mailwasher installed and waiting mail on server seen ok.
6. Zone alarm Version5.5.590.015 installed (mail still seen ok high internet setting)
7. AVG 7 installed (unable to see mail on ZA Internet High Setting)
8. Zone Alarm Internet setting reduced to medium. (Mail seen Ok)
9 Update of Zone alarm to Version 5.5.062.004 (still only works on Medium setting)

So it definitely seems that there is a clash between AVG7 and Zone Alarm using windows 98SE

As stated in the post above High setting works fine with XP And SP2