cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG 7 Email Setup

N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Anyone know how to set up the Email section of AVG 7 ? I've put in the addresses of the plusnet mail servers, but it doesn't appear to be checking anything. I'm using Outlook Express and XP Pro with service pack 1 and all the updates except servicepack 2.
Regards, J J Taylor.
15 REPLIES
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Hi there,

What version of AVG 7 are you using?

Free or Pro edition?

Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

AVG 7 Email Setup

They changed how it scans a few updates ago, it no longer uses its own proxy scanner. The default settings for pop3/smtp work fine for all my email accounts, so best to reinstall it to get them back.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

The free one.
Regards J J taylor.
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Hi there,

As posted by adp450 above, the default settings applied during install will be sufficient for your needs.

You shouldnt have to stipulate mail servers etc.

As advised, uninstall AVG7 and reinstall with default settings and youll be fine.

Best regards

Mark
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Thanks for the input. I'll try that and see what happens.
Regards, JJ Taylor
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Downloaded the latest version, installed it. When I open Outlook Express and try to collect mail, the AVG mail scanner runs, but cannot get authorisation. I get a pop up window asking for user and password, I give them, then nothing happens. To collect mail I have to diable the mail scanner. The Firewall is allowing AVG to access the internet. Any Ideas ?
Regards, JJ Taylor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

AVG 7 Email Setup

you will also have to fix all the email account settings in outlook or which ever email program, so for pn use:

account name = your pn user name
pop3 = mail.plus.net
smtp = relay.plus.net
in advanced click defaults to get the correct ports to be used

then pn's should work again, repeat that for any others you use.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Configured AVG to the same settings as in Outlook Express, port, server name etc. Should I see anything when collecting and sending mail ?
Regards, JJ Taylor
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Hi there,

No you should only see interaction of AVG if it picks up a virus or while it updates its pattern files.

Otherwise it will work quietly in the background.

I did wonder if the earlier problems you where having were related to the Mail problems Plus net were reporting, as opposed to a problem with AVG.

Regards

Mark
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Thanks to all for the input. I will try it out for the next few days and see how it works.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Seems to work, but messages with attachments show the message at the bottom " Message not scanned " How do I set up AVG to scan all incoming and outgoing messages. Seems a bit pointless having an email scanner that does not scan everything.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Hi there,

Open your AVG Control Panel.

On the top right hand side you will see Email Scanner.

Click that then go to Properties at the bottom.

Go to Plug ins and set the properties for your mail client there.

Your email scanner should say that it is fully functional.

Regards

Mark
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

I've done all that. The mail scanner says it's fully functional, but it does not appear to be correct. I don't know if it's scanning the mail or not.
Regards, JJ Taylor.
N/A

AVG 7 Email Setup

Hi JJ,

Cant figure that one.

If you have set everything up as stated then it should just work.

I have never seen the message you have described 'message not scanned' when these settings have been applied.

Did you register your AVG Free. If so I would advise scanning the AVG Forum or raising the issue there. You might get a better answer.

Registration is free and allows you access to the forum.

Regards

Mark