cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A request for help on behalf of my wife.

N/A

Hi All

My wife seems to have lost her ability to chat for example when she goes to one of her Yahoo groups ie "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digital_astro/?yguid=153567873" and clicks on chat she gets the message

"We're sorry, Yahoo! Chat is not available within Yahoo! Groups.

To continue chatting with your group, please consider using Yahoo! Messenger. It's easy to have a conversation with multiple people when you use Conference in Yahoo! Messenger. Communicate via text in one window, or share your webcam with several people at once."

As per the suggestion we downloaded and installed the latest version of Yahoo Messenger for Windows..... but try as we might we could not find a way of getting to the afore mentioned chat room which usually has activity 24/7

What simple thing is it that we are missing....... or is it more complicated?

Not sure why this has suddenly happened to the Yahoo groups or is it because she has not used the facility for a week or two

IanJ
4 REPLIES
N/A

A women that cant chat thats brill you could sell that idea I would buy it.

The first thing that springs to mind is she a member of the group? You normaly logon automaticly via cookie if she has deleted that she may not be logged in or it may try and give the wrong password. With most groups you cant do a lot if your not a memeber
N/A

The first thing that springs to mind is she a member of the group?

She has been a member for a couple of years now, and also automatically logs in...... the problem is as I see that until recently she has been using the JAVA chat feature in the group to chat to other members;but for some reason known only to Yahoo they have removed this feature and have started plugging "Yahoo Messenger" if I was a cynical person I would say it is because they cannot run advertisments with Java chat.I did check for various things by trying it with my Yahoo groups on my "Mac" and the end result was the same........ JAVA chat is no longer available.

Using "Yahoo Messenger" although not the prefered option would be ok if we could work out how to set it up to enable chat with the other members of the same Yahoo group the same as has been done until recently.

I thank you for your response

IanJ
N/A

Cheesy Yahoo have removed the feature to chat via its chat room.
The chat room is still being displayed on groups at the moment, whether that will go or whether they are leaving it there to be re-instated because of demand remains to be seen.

So no your not penalised due to none use, its Yahoo have decided to remove the feature
As to messenger its not for using in the chat room, one is supposed to have a chat conference with it by inviting people to join you on messenger
How ridiculous that is when some groups contain thousands of members, how would one know who to invitte to a chat on messenger
I think maybe more complaints to Yahoo might help get it re-instated
June
N/A

I have done some "Googling" and came up wtth this

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-06-22-yahoo-chat-rooms_x.htm

at least it seems to indicate some hope for it's return.You are correct when you say some groups have thousands of members...... the wife's group that I mentioned in my original post at last count had just uver 10,000 members.

Sad that such a draconian method was employed unless it was just a kneejerk reaction while they think about it.

IanJ