cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A records for directing hosted site 'home'?

kissack
Grafter

I have a hosted site (.co.uk) and want to try hosting it at home for a period. I know my ip (static) and need to understand the request for altering the A record. What is the Pri column and the others? Presumably some sort of priority?
Does 'sitename.co.uk A 1 xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa' look like the correct syntax? Will this only direct port http/https? Will mail to sitename still divert to the plusnet account?

Thanks for any help or useful links

Moderators note (by John) I have moved this topic for you to everything Internet as it it is not directly CGI related and you may get more response here.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Try the image I have on my site. It shows my setup for my home web and e-mail server (IP's starred out for obvious reasons!):

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/images/myDomainSettings.jpg

For your domain name, you'll only need the top line from the image.

hth

nry
N/A

Not true, this user would like to host it on his static IP, not on the +Net servers.

You are allmost correct in the settings.

You need to use
Left field: hostname (likely www)
Type: A
Priority: leave blank, this is for MX type records.
Rigth field: your static IP.
N/A

Err, that's exactly what I'm doing! I'm hosting my plus.net supplied .co.uk domain name on my static IP. My www.nryonline.co.uk domain which was registered via plus.net is hosted on my static IP from home under Apache/Linux.....

So what I've posted is correct provided the poster put's their static IP in the right hand column.

nry
N/A

Looking at the image you have posted, and you previous post

For your domain name, you'll only need the top line from the image.

It is misleading, th ough I do now understand what you mean.

You said top line, but you didn't say top line from the table listing your current records.

The top line is what I posted: The abilaty to host on the +Net servers.
N/A

lol, I see what you mean! I have a habit of writing things that make sense to myself and not always others!

Smiley

nry
kissack
Grafter

Thank you both. Especially the picture, it answers exactly what I asked.

It does pose another question hewever Smiley ....
What is the significance of linux and that being an MX record? Is this to do with email and where does the word 'linux' fit in?
N/A

I'm also running an e-mail server from home. For reasons of complete lack of originality, because I'm running Linux on my e-mail server I have called this box 'linux' and it has the fully qualified domain name of linux.nryonline.co.uk

Basically, I point linux.nryonline.co.uk to my static IP and I then point my MX record (mail exchange record) to linux which means all mail sent to the nryonline.co.uk domain gets sent directly to my linux e-mail server.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

nry
N/A

MX records dictate what machine handles e-mail for a specific domain.

You may have a e-mail address called "public-mail.domain.co.uk". Hoever, doing a DNS lookup on public-mail.domain.co.uk results in no records.

Mail servers do a MX lookup, to obtain the machine that handles the e-mail. In this case, "linux.domain.co.uk" handles the e-mail.

One machine can handle e-mail for hundreds of domains.

Doing a DNS lookup on "linux.domain.co.uk" results in the IP of the machine that should be contacted for mail delivery. In this case, his static IP.

If one mail server is down, the Pri (priority) field is designed to dictate the order in which servers should be contacted.