cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions on PlusNet webspace

N/A

First off, is it possible to host a phpBB forum on the webspace provided by PlusNet?
I'm not at all technically savvy, and I was wondering if logging in to develop the webspace is only doable via the account log in. I would hope I could allow my webmaster to log in to the webspace without being able to log in to my personal account here. Is that possible?
Assuming this is all possible, how would I begin to go about it?
Thank you.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A few questions on PlusNet webspace

First off, is it possible to host a phpBB forum on the webspace provided by PlusNet?

Yes on your cgi webspace (which is separate from your www webspace for security reasons).
There is a tutorial which explains how to install it: Scripts: Help Installing phpBB.
I'm not at all technically savvy, and I was wondering if logging in to develop the webspace is only doable via the account log in. I would hope I could allow my webmaster to log in to the webspace without being able to log in to my personal account here. Is that possible?

You have one login and password that applies to all areas: portal, FTP, mail, CGI etc. It's not possible to have different passwords for different areas of the system. So your webmaster will have access to your other areas if you want them to manage your webspace.
Assuming this is all possible, how would I begin to go about it?
Thank you.

It depends on which of the 2 questions you are refering to. For the forum just follow the tutorial, for the login access it's not possible for the reasons I gave.
Community Veteran

To contradict Peter, it is possible to set a different password on the cgi platform.
Where the phpBB has to be hosted.

To do this; (At a DOS prompt on your local machine.)
telnet criticalmass.plus.net

Once you are logged in with your username and portal password.
Enter;
passwd

You will then be asked for your old password, and the new password.

Chilly
Proclus
Grafter

From windows CMD type:

telnet -a cgi.plus.net

Then once you have logged in ( your password that you type wont appaer as * or as letters just type it in and press enter) then type:

passwd

Then enter your existing password and then change it to what you want. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Is this an echo, or are we playing spot the difference.

Chilly
N/A

Thank you for your insight chillypenguin... the spot the difference game was fun too :lol: