cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£53 .co.uk Domain Renewal Fee!!

N/A

Hi
Please could somebody explain why I have recieved an email from Plus Net stating that to renew my .co.uk Domain is going to cost £52.88??

Surley this cannot be right!?
I can re-register my .co.uk domain elsewhere alot cheaper.

If this IS the cost from Plus Net, please don't tell me that you will charge an extortionate amount to transfer to different host?

Regards
Lee Trivett :x
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet are an ISP and not a domain registration company. As such PlusNet charge much more for domain regstrations because 1) it's a manual process and 2) it costs plusnet a lot more to register due to the low volume of domains they register.

Now for some Qs:

1) was this domain transfered to be your included £1/month domain or did you transfer it to plusnet and elected to pay the renewal fee every 2 years?

2) Did you transfer the whole domain including admin/billing or just the hosting?
N/A

The domain was transfered to Plus Net under the understanding that the renewal process would be the same as any other - every 2 years.

I'm not sure what you mean by was the admin/billing transfered?
Heres my whois lookup :

Domain Name:
trivsys.co.uk

Registrant:
Lee Michael Trivett

Registrant's Address:

THE REGISTRANT IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ELECTED TO
HAVE THEIR ADDRESS OMITTED FROM THE WHOIS DATABASE

Registrant's Agent:
Plusnet Plc t/a Force 9 Internet [Tag = FORCE9]
URL: http://www.force9.net

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 28-Jan-2003
Renewal Date: 28-Jan-2005
Last updated: 13-Nov-2003

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
ns1.force9.net 195.166.128.16
ns2.force9.net 195.166.128.17

WHOIS database last updated at 11:20:01 01-Nov-2004

--
(c) Nominet UK 1996 - 2004

For further information and terms of use please see http://www.nic.uk/whois
Nominet reserves the right to withhold access to this service at any time.

I'm sure customers are not made aware of the fact that when they transfer their domains to Plus Net - to renew them its going to cost this much more.

As you said, you are an ISP not a domain registration company - we pay you a monthly fee. We get internet access and a set amount of web space and from what I can gather a set number of domains that can be hosted 'FOC' and anything above that number would be charged.

Are you sure that the £53 fee I have been sent is correct for the package I have?

Also, please could you tell me if the transfer process is free?
N/A

Peter doesn't work for PlusNet.

The fee is correct, as quoted on the Domain FAQ page HERE

As for transfering out, I am not sure. I think it is free. However, moving it to a company line 123Reg will cost to transfer in.
Community Veteran

Yes you can transfer it for free, however you may find it will still need to go through PlusNet, according to Nominet's rules you need to initiate the transfer 30 days before the billing date for the domain name, however in practice they generally dont uphold this.

Chris
maccman23
Dabbler

renewals

i have just registered a co.uk domain name with plusnet as part of my sub. Does this mean when i renew in two years time i HAVE to renew with plusnet or i can renew it with nominet etc.?
TIA
Dave
Community Veteran

Renewig with Nominet directly is even more expensive as they dont like dealing directly with end users. If you have a free or £1 domain as part of your account then assuming you are still on an account with an optional domain and still with PlusNet in two years then it should be free (unless of course any rules change between now and then, which is unlikely).

Chris
N/A

Chirs
I'm sure that when I transferred my domain to Plus Net, it stated that I was allowed 1 free, and any more would cost £1 per month.
You state above that if we have an account with 1 free domain name that the renewal should be free?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please don't quote the full content of the preceding post as it's not needed.
Community Veteran

Yes if you are paying the £1-00 per month then that covers what is called the "Inclusive Domain" and at the end of the 2 years it will be renewed by PlusNet at no extra cost to you.

Any other domains after that are hosted free (up to 3 domains with home user) but you will have to pay for registration and renewal.
So if you have more than 1 it costs in to register outside and just transfer the hosting in leaving the billing with the outside company.

Hope that helps.
LiamM
Grafter

What I would do is transfer your domain to 123reg.co.uk, they will control the renewal/administation/billing etc... and it's £6.09 for a .co.uk for 2 years.

You can then change the nameservers of the domain so that plusnet have the hosting control i.e. they control where your domain points to etc...
N/A

Thanks Smiley
I will give that a go
N/A

How do i make sure i don't get charged £50?

I registered my domain at www.oneandone.com and transferred it to plusnet so i could link properly to my webspace.

Thanks
Community Veteran

Did you transfer the billing (i.e. changed the IPSTAG) or just the hosting. If just the hosting then oneandone will still be the one that bills you at their rates. If you transfered the whole domain then PlusNet will bill you their higher rate.
N/A

I can't remember Shockedops:

How do i go about finding out? Ticket?
Community Veteran

Do a whois lookup for the domain and see what the IPSTAG (or sometimes called tha registrant TAG) is set to. If it's FORCE9 then you transfered the billing to plusnet so they will bill you for the domain at their rates. If it's not, your original reg company will bill you at their rates.

An example was posted by lmtrivett above - see the registrants agent section.