cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5 ? I think not

vic_newey
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

I am somewhat puzzled as to how my supposed 1.5 meg connection cannot now achieve more than 950, CS inform that various checks show my line is 1.5 enabled & that it must be exchange contention that limits me to 1 meg speed :roll:

Needless to say that is not acceptable & I know full well that I can average 1460 on my line & at times the full 1500 so what is wrong ? its very obvious that with various speedchecks averaging 900 or so & not one crossing the 1000 barrier that I am stuck on 1 meg regardless of what their equipment says.

I must say that Blueyonder is looking very tempting if all I can ever get is 1 meg
:twisted:
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1.5 ? I think not

Have you done a BT speed test (presuming you are on BTw)?
vic_newey
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

I haven't tried the BT test this week, I tried it a couple of weeks ago & it came up with 955 & said it was within acceptable limits for my connection LOL, I'll try it again later
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

1.5 ? I think not

Hi,

If the BT speedtest comes back with the same kind of results then cause will be somewhere between your equipment and BT. If at times it's higher then this then it's unlikely to be your equipment and almost certainly exchange side contention kicking in.

Unfortunately if it's contention there's not a lot that can be done. Broadband is provided as a contended service over a shared network and it can be normal for speeds to be reduced at times due to contention.

Just because the line can support 1.5Mbps it doesn't always mean that the bandwidth is available at the exchange all the time.
retep
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

Maybe this only applies if your on MaxDSL with a router. My connection speed varies usually with a stable rate of .5Mb or 1.5Mb but with an occassional 1Mb.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

The stable rate is in effect the maximum speed I can get.

It seems to stay at the low end until I switch off the router once or so a day for 3,4 or 5 days. Then usually goes back to 1.5Mb.
Community Veteran

1.5 ? I think not

The stable rate on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate is the maximum throughput speed over PNs network however there is also the stable rate at the exchange which according to the new BT speedtester is set lower than PNs stable rate meaning I will never achieve the speed of my connection or my PN stable rate as its being throttled by my exchange!
vic_newey
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

which according to the new BT speedtester is set lower than PNs stable rate meaning I will never achieve the speed of my connection or my PN stable rate as its being throttled by my exchange!

If this is the case then it means I am on 1 meg speed permanently with little hope of anything better from BT. so people like me are not going to be happy paying the same ammount per month as others who are getting up to 8 times the speed.

The most annoying part of this is that I know my line can do better as I had stable synchs over 2300 & would like to be restarted on maxdsl but apparently this is not possible ( unless you read on other forums & find out that it is).
It will be Blueyonder for me shortly if nothing changes.
shellsong
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

Decided against Be then, Vic? Smiley
vic_newey
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

Not sure if Be would be much of an improvement if I have a manky line, We have blueyonder already connected, our daughter has it in her room & pays the bill £17.50 for 2 meg inc basic TV package. I reckeon if I chip in the £17 I pay plusnet I could have a share of 10meg connection :lol: The only trouble there is I will probably get lumbered with the whole £35 bill :!:
retep
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

Just a note that Telewest's Blueyonder broadband basic (up to 2Mb) goes up £3 per month after the first year. I guess they hope your a captive customer by then.

Do you know if Blueyonders 'upto' 2Mb broadband is 2Mb or close to it in your daughters case? Curious as I to have both BT & Cable.
vic_newey
Grafter

1.5 ? I think not

She signed up at £14.99 a month over a year ago but now pays £17.99 . I discovered that if you upgrade any package then you lose the discount & have to pay the current full price.

Her speed is very good, just did a test @ 1994 , rumours are that 2 meg will become 4 meg at same cost as further upgrades take place. BT can never compete with this & altho I am a low user I dont want to be left in the dark age as things move on.
I won't consider moving to another ISP using BT equipment as my line is apparently the limiting factor.
N/A

1.5 ? I think not

I'm quite happy with my speeds (5500 stable rate, 7000 sync), but when I move house next year I will not be bothering to take my dsl with me or sign up with any other dsl ISP. Most likely will be going with NTL/Telewest and get phone, 4mb internet & tv from one company.
N/A

1.5 ? I think not

I moved from Edinburgh and my Blueyonder connection to an area that has no cable and ADSL.

It will never happen again, the next time I moved home (if I do) it must have cable. You cannot look past cable for broadband, ADSL is insignificant compared to it.

Once you have had a cable connection (blueyonder in my case) you definately miss it, if you move and need to take an inferior ADSL service.

The thing with blueyonder is there is no issue with getting a refund for any faults, tech support is 10x better & consistenly winning awards for the service.

You pay for a quality service, I wouldn't mind paying £25 for a 4Mb connection, as this will be upgraded, then again & again and so forth. Whilst ADSL your lucky if you get 8Mb off peak never mind on peak.

I would swap if I was you.
N/A

1.5 ? I think not

As this thread is now discussing alternative suppliers, rather than being specifically related to PN, I have moved it away from Community Support.

Feel free to continue the discussion in here. Wink