cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does the smpt server reject authentication from android devices?

johngie
Dabbler

Re: why does the smpt server reject authentication from android devices?

SOLVED  Cheesy
The issue turned out to be the format of the Plusnet username when one has more than one mailbox, i.e "username+fred"
This is fine when connecting to PN directly, but not remotely.
So my usernames are now set as "username+fred" for the incoming server but just "username" for the outgoing one.
Job done. Might be a good idea for Plusnet to add this to their setup guides - would save the sort of frustration I've had!

Kind regards
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So my usernames are now set as "username+fred" for the incoming server but just "username" for the outgoing one.
It used to be the case that ONLY the main account username could be used for smtp authentication. This changed some time ago and now a mailbox name ie. username+mailboxname can
be used as long as you use the mailbox password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

johngie
Dabbler

Didn't for me! And I did enter password!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange. Huh The additional facility to use the mailbox credentials was introduced back in 2011 according to this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96345.msg817755.html#msg817755
I've been using it since then, I have a dedicated mailbox and password just to use for smtp authentication to avoid using the main account details since the data is not encrypted.
Works fine on Thunderbird using a Linux netbook and the default mail client on a Nexus 7.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Is that tested over a mobile data network MisterW? I don't currently have a device to test this out on 3G/2G (or whatever) as this sending issues seems to crop up every now and then.
That's RPM to you!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yup, I used it only a couple of weeks ago with a 3g dongle on the 3 network. I have it set to use port 587 rather than 25 as I know that 3 definitely block port 25 as do some others.
I've also used it in Portugal on both the Vodafone PT and TMN networks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

This is interesting. I've done some further testing ...
Firstly I've tested SMTP auth across six accounts from the internal network here using the credentials below:
bobpullen default account - successful
bobpullen additional mailbox - successful

boomboomer default account - successful
boomboomer additional mailbox - successful

johngie default account - successful
johngie additional mailbox - successful

I then tested the the following from my Vodafone HSDPA connection:
bobpullen default account - successful
bobpullen additional mailbox - successful

johngie default account - successful
johngie additional mailbox - fails

boomboomer default account - fails
boomboomer additional mailbox - fails

@boomboomer, I'm still of the opinion that we might be having problems with your account because it's not active yet. It will be interesting to see how things pan out when it is.
@johngie, I've just fiddled with your account (oo-er missus!) and will check in a short while to see if it's made any difference...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
@johngie, I've just fiddled with your account (oo-er missus!) and will check in a short while to see if it's made any difference...

Seems to have done the trick. I can authenticate using your mailbox usernames now.
All that remains now is for @boomboomer to let us know whether or not the problem remains once their account is active ...
Edit: I've also raised an internal problem to ask that our engineers take a look into this in a little more detail (ref: 73618).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

johngie
Dabbler

Bob - I don't know what you did, but it's worked!  Cheesy
Greatly appreciated.
My only very slightly critical comment is that when I raised it with support directly they said it must be my authentication settings and left it at that - "contact the phone supplier".
You have gone that extra Yorkshire mile and sorted it. Brilliant.
Regards
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd have probably said the same thing initially. If it tests fine on our network there's no reason why it shouldn't off-net. It still confuses me now. Be interesting to see what Engineering discover.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

SueScott

I am having the same problem. I have an android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) and have just changed ISP to Plusnet and having set up e mails on my home computer am having difficulty sending or receiving on the mobile devise.  It was fine before with my previous provider. I have managed today to get two accounts set up for Plusnet on the Galaxy but neither will work. Surely it should be a simple matter for Plusnet to provide the correct selttings and get over this issue. All advice gratefully received
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sue, the problem being discussed here wouldn't prevent you receiving email. Is your connection with us active and are you connected to the Plusnet network when trying to collect/send messages?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

boomboomer
Dabbler

@boomboomer, I'm still of the opinion that we might be having problems with your account because it's not active yet. It will be interesting to see how things pan out when goes live.

Hi Bob,
I go live tomorrow, just changed all my domain redirects in advance - everyone will receive their email, but not be able to send.
Unfortunately I won't be at home when the broadband starts, hopefully the smtp server will authenticate even remotely then but it may need the ip check for the first connection.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards. 
boomboomer
Dabbler

Good news Bob, two minutes after my activation email arrived the smtp server authenticated, all works well on all the Android devices including on 3g connections.
Thanks for your help.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Edit: I've also raised an internal problem to ask that our engineers take a look into this in a little more detail (ref: 73618).

Turns out there was a bug in the software version we were using on the outbound anti-spam appliances. We've just finished upgrading them all to a newer build so I'm hoping the SMTP authentication oddities should now be a thing of the past.
For the record this also means my earlier assumption is false:
Seems like there might be some form of IP checking prior to an account being activated. That would also explain why you're able to send via Webmail (the connecting IP will be one of our Webmail servers).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team