cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is 'prohibited' about this content ? And why are Plusnet censoring it ?

disfroot
Rising Star

what is 'prohibited' about this content ? And why are Plusnet censoring it ?

I just tried to send an e-mail to a UK recipient containing a link to a news article on the principal Dutch broadcaster's website NOS.nl
The Plusnet e-mail server refused to deliver it and bounced it with a 554 prohibited header ( below)
I tried a test with different link to another of today's Dutch news stories and it appears to have been delivered correctly.
What on _earth_ is going on here Huh Why is the Plusnet mail server apparently censoring dissemination within the UK of this link ?

<start of bounced message contents>
A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error.  <identifying content deleted> 554:Prohibited: Unwanted message contents found. This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server. avasout07.plus.net

ForwardedMessage.eml
X-CM-Score: 0.00
X-CNFS-Analysis: <identifying content deleted>
Message-ID:  <identifying content deleted>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:36: <identifying content deleted> +0100
User-Agent:  <identifying content deleted>
MIME-Version: 1.0
To:  <identifying content deleted>
Subject: Vincent who ?
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Apparently they're not even allowed to know his name in Holland - odd...

http://nos.nl/artikel/308184-levenslang-voor-vincent-t.html
-- <identifying content deleted>

<end of bounced message contents>
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: what is 'prohibited' about this content ? And why are Plusnet censoring it ?

have you tried the English version?   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-15448121
disfroot
Rising Star

Re: what is 'prohibited' about this content ? And why are Plusnet censoring it ?

wow.
Is that a troll attempt ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no deadly serious
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wasn't aware that the Plusnet T&Cs said the first language of yourself and all friends/family you communicate with had to be English!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the OP thought it was the persons name that was being rejected, from the Netherlands radio, my link was to the same story and name from the BBC
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: disfroot
The Plusnet e-mail server refused to deliver it and bounced it with a 554 prohibited header ( below)

Rather than "refused to deliver it" my impression is that the Plusnet relay "was unable to deliver it", ie the recipient's mail server refused to accept it. Cloudmark hasn't marked it as spam - but the recipient's server might have.
David
disfroot
Rising Star

@pierre
no - I didn't say that it was the recipient's name  that was the reason for the 554 - I carefully noted that it was the fact that the message contained that specific URL and I did a test to disambiguate this. And your link may have been to the same story, but the Dutch coverage is interestingly different - which was my motivation for posting it (privately, of course).
There are no issues of sub-judice here, as the verdict was in at the time of posting. And if the Dutch courts have handed down a more restrictive judgement on media coverage of this story ( which is suggested by the factual content of the link) and this still is in effect - it should not have any force in the UK for two reasons - i)  the content is merely reporting the Dutch coverage and ii) no recipient is resident in the Netherlands.
@spraxyt
That's what I'd like to determine - the text that Plusnet has added in the head of the bounce is ambiguous and unhelpful. Can anyone else successfully send an e-mail containing that specific URL to one of their non-Plusnet recipients ?
disfroot
Rising Star

@spraxyt
no - hang on - if the destination e-mail server bounces, then I get an e-mail from the destination server - not Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Not if the destination mail server refuses to accept the message. In that case it will not leave the Plusnet relay and all that can do is return it to you as "refused".
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That's what I'd like to determine - the text that Plusnet has added in the head of the bounce is ambiguous and unhelpful. Can anyone else successfully send an e-mail containing that specific URL to one of their non-Plusnet recipients ?

Yes, just tried sending a message with subject "Vincent who ?" and body "News article here" followed by an empty line then that link and it was received at an address external to Plusnet without problems. Routing is normal
Thunderbird on my PC -> avasout08.plus.net (Cloudmark) -> non-Plusnet destination mail server.
Cloudmark scored the email as "not spam" as it did in your case.
David
disfroot
Rising Star

Thanks for taking the time to do that !
I'll be e-mailing the administrator of the destination server to request an explanation.
Plusnet should also modify the text that accompanies the 554 - as it is not fit for purpose.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Google says that the text on that web page (which has a mans face with eradicator ink on it):-
"Ruling in a controversial murder case in Britain. The Dutchman Vincent T. Bristol was convicted of murdering his British neighbour.
The man gets life in Veghel, and this he must sit at least 20 years."

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Plusnet should also modify the text that accompanies the 554 - as it is not fit for purpose.

We have no control over that text. It will be the error that the destination server is returning when our relay servers try handing the message over.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵