cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail.

Devonian
Grafter

webmail.

I just tried to access my PlusNet email for the first time, but I am getting message 'unknown user name, password incorrect'
I am using the log info I supplied when I first signed up to PlusNet, is there another I should be using?
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: webmail.

Hi there,
It looks like you didn't set up an email address when you signed up your account, most likely because you had an external address you wanted to use. If you visit the email control panel in your members centre (http://my.plus.net) you should be able to set one up there.
Hope that helps,
Devonian
Grafter

I must have completely missed that part of the sign up.....
No doubt a couple of glasses of lager, and a BT rage didn't help!  Cheesy Cheesy
Cheers Matt.
jwemerald

Hi,
My query is very similar, so I hope it's OK for me to jump in here, rather than start a new thread.
I gave a hotmail address when signing up (yesterday), but subsequently created an address with my first name, ie my-first-name@username.plus.com.
I can sign in to webmail if I type my 'username' and password in the log in box and can see a couple of emails I've sent myself as a test - so that part works.  If I send an email from webmail it arrives in my current virgin.net/thunderbird account as username@username.plus.com.
However, if I try to log in to the email address I want to use, ie my-first-name@username.plus.com, I am told my details are incorrect. 
The email address appears as one of my 'mailboxes' - so it does look as if it should be up and running.  I've also created one for my wife, and that also appears as a 'mailbox'.
I created the email address about 18 hours ago (as I only signed up yesterday).  Does that make any difference?
Am I doing something wrong?
Many thanks for any help you can give me.
James
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your default e-mail address my-first-name@username.plus.con is accessed using your account username and password (the ones you use to login to the Member Centre). You can set the "sender" address in webmail to whatever you want. I think the default is username@username.plus.com but you can change that as follows:
Login to webmail using your username and password
Click Options
Click Personal Information
Set E-mail Address to whatever you want (such as my-first-name@username.plus.com)
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click submit.
To access your wife's mailbox the login name on webmail (or Thunderbird) needs to be
username+wifemailboxname (including the + sign), and password as set for that mailbox.
Set the E-mail address as described above, eg wifemailboxname@username.plus.com, (click submit to save any changed settings).
Hope this helps get you sorted. Smiley
David
David
jwemerald

You're a star, David.  Many thanks! 
I followed your instructions and have now been able to access my wife's account as well as mine.  I've sent and received test emails to various accounts and it's all worked properly.
I'm very grateful for your help.
My next move will be to sort out Thunderbird accounts on my desktop and my wife's laptop.  Or at least try.  I managed it a while back with Virgin/Thunderbird so hope it will be straightforward with Plusnet.  I did have a problem on my wife's laptop recently after she upgraded to Windows 7 and Virgin didn't seem too keen on the latest version of Thunderbird.  But hopefully Plusnet will be more user-friendly.
Hopefully I won't be starting another thread!
Thanks again.
James