cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail timing out after just a few seconds

gbhall
Grafter

webmail timing out after just a few seconds

I am finding, as have others I notice, that webmail is now timing out in 15 seconds or so, without any notification except that when you press send or save, it just says failed to send or failed to save
This has been going on for at least two weeks now and it is totally unacceptable.  There is no way to resume processing your work, you have to copy it to clipboard, login in again to webmail, and paste everything back - quickly. 
This is atrocious. Needs top attention and solution.
9 REPLIES 9
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: webmail timing out after just a few seconds

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Is this still happening?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gbhall
Grafter

Absolutely, yes. I set a longer timeout, which seems a little better, but it can still happen sometimes within a few seconds. I am beginning to suspect that any incoming mail can trigger this problem.
But there is another kind of problems as well. It can far too often happen that clicking on a specific email results in displaying in the bottom half of the screen the contents of an entirely different email altogether......this is just a ludicrously poor implementation of emailing.
One thing I do if the email system 'sticks on me (refuses to email or save a draft), is to open another copy of webmail in my browser, and paste what I am doing into that as well. This sometimes means I forget an attachment, or one of a list of recipients. Altogether not a good answer compared to having a better webmail system altogether. I'm going to try squirrelmail as recommended, but it looks a bit antediluvian to me........still, if it is stable.....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: gbhall
Absolutely, yes. I set a longer timeout, which seems a little better, but it can still happen sometimes within a few seconds. I am beginning to suspect that any incoming mail can trigger this problem.

I'd be surprised if incoming mail is the cause. The system only knows about new messages when it periodically refreshes. If you suspect it's the refresh causing the problem, then you could try lowering the message checking frequency and disabling the option to automatically save drafts? You mention others have complained of similar problems? I don't suppose you can point me to the threads/places where they are?
But there is another kind of problems as well. It can far too often happen that clicking on a specific email results in displaying in the bottom half of the screen the contents of an entirely different email altogether......this is just a ludicrously poor implementation of emailing.

This has come up before. Please bear in mind that we're using open source Webmail software, it's not something we've developed ourselves. It may even be a known bug.
Our Roundcube installation is a few installs behind. I think there's probably merit in trying to bring it up to date before investigating any oddities like the preview pane issue. Sadly, I'm not sure when this is likely to happen Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gbhall
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I don't suppose you can point me to the threads/places where they are?

Do a search for 'failed to search' and/or 'failed to save' 
Shame about not being able to search for a phrase - again poor software. Anyway her's one
in forum: emails 
title 'webmails won't send' 
author : 'drj'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

gbhall
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
solution use https://webmail.plus.net/squirrelmail/

So how do I access my address book from plusnet wemail in plusnet squirrel mail ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do a search for 'failed to search' and/or 'failed to save'

This one? First I've heard of it. I don't suppose you've found a way to reliably replicate the issue?
If not, the only way I can imagine we'd be able to look into this, is if provided with a handful of recent examples and the following information:

• Time/date of error

• Mailbox in use

• From address

• To address

For privacy reasons, that information is best kept to a support ticket or private message.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gbhall
Grafter

I have a hunch what it might be. I think every time it happens it is when replying to representatives of a certain commercial organisation.
I am using plusnet webmail, so I am composing a message in the latest Firefox browser. With my system set to automatically save to draft every one minute, but automatically look for incoming mail every 10 minutes.
I may have other tabs open in the browser, such as a connection to Logmein.
Suddenly, with no warning, I get a red message saying 'failed to save'. After that point, and also quite often without first seeing that message, when I click on 'send', I get a red message 'failed to send'. After that there is no way to send anything. It is essential to save the composed message with ctrl-C, logout of webmail, log in again and paste the message again, plus the list of senders, plus any attached data.
This is what it might be (my guess). I am replying to an incoming message which has in the previous message area one or more links to images. This is particularly the case with xxxxx's emails, which always contain links to lots of things - twitter, youtube, facebook, online.kerridgecs and things like that (icons, generally). I think perhaps a failure of any of those links blows webmail out of the water.