cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail emptied??

chesterfield
Grafter

webmail emptied??

Ive logged onto my webmail account today and found the inbox devoid of all content.  Not a single email.
I have some in my drafts folder and some in saved, but the inbox is completely bare.
Would anybody know why this could be?
I have not logged on with any device that retrieves then deletes email, so have no idea what so ever why this would have happened.  Are there any known issues at all?
18 REPLIES 18
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: webmail emptied??

Well this is strange...
Sent myself a test email from my work account.  Sure enough it arrives in my plus net webmail box.  It's the only email in there.
I leave work and decide to check my plus net email again on my phone, and now that email has also gone and the inbox is empty again...?Huh
Where has all my email gone?  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you sure your phone hasn't changed to POP3 access so that emails get downloaded and deleted?
David
chesterfield
Grafter

Quite sure.
I've had four emails in my inbox since last night.  I've deleted three and left the test one that my wife sent from her account.
Then half an hour later that email is also gone.
It's as though some device is downloading my email and removing it from the server, but it is not a device I own that is doing it.
I have this phone and a laptop. The laptop is switched off and has been for weeks.
Time to raise a ticket with support.  I'm concerned my account has been hacked.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you tried changing the email password
chesterfield
Grafter

Can I do that on the catch all?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes - although I changed my catchall from the default
chesterfield
Grafter

Have changed the account password and therefor the catchall.
So far so good.
I shall first try updating my phone to use the new password and see if for some stupid reason that is the cause.  Though I've not changed the settings since configuring this phone quite a while ago.
Can PN restore my mailbox contents?  There were some emails in there that I could have done with keeping.
picbits
Rising Star

It would be a good idea to raise the request as a ticket asap as they may only keep limited backups and you may get lucky with someone picking up the ticket before seeing this thread.
chesterfield
Grafter

Ticket raised.
I've updated the password on my phone and emails are staying in the inbox.
I can only assume that some other device or person has downloaded all my email.... Shocked Undecided
Have requested if possible a list of all ip addresses and times that my account has been accessed, to see if it is by any slim chance a device on my company network (it's a small company I own and run the majority of IT on).
There is a slim chance that a pc which used to be mine and is now used in the server room to display welcome presentations via a hdmi switch, has some configuration where it is downloading my PN email, but I highly doubt it.  It's the only possible explanation I can come up with to avoid the thought that somebody has accessed my emails.
picbits
Rising Star

Worth checking that machine - someone may have inadvertently opened the mail program on it.
Also, did you use the same password for wifi as you did for your email login ? Any PC with Admin access can view the wifi password so this could also be a breach of your security.
chesterfield
Grafter

Only myself with access to that machine, I did have to repair it on Friday so it may have decided to repair the startup and launch a mail program for me, though this would be outlook and it would store any downloaded email in an online folder for my account, which is not there when I log on to my every day pc.
The WiFi password in the office is not the same as that of my personal account.  There is only one pc that has admin access to the router on my home network and that has been switched off for ages.
I'm struggling to think of any other possibility other than my account has been compromised.
Sadly the ticket hasn't been picked up even though it was raised at 8am this morning.
chesterfield
Grafter

Checked the machine in the office that I thought could possibly have been the culprit (albeit a long shot) and it isn't,  So this leaves either my account having been compromised, or there has been some error at PN end and my email inbox has just been emptied for whatever reason.
Ticket still not picked up.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: chesterfield
Ticket still not picked up.

I've nudged it in the right direction, although I'm not sure there's going to be much we can do for you Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chesterfield
Grafter

Im hoping that a restore is possible.
Failing that at least maybe a log of IP addresses and times that my email has been accessed from - it may help track down the PC the email is sat on if there is a slim chance it is a PC I own.  Though its not happened before in many years, so Im fairly certain its been accessed by somebody else.
at least a restore of emails would allow me to see if I have left any password reset notifications etc in there and therefor change any passwords on other systems (which Im already doing), just in case.