cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail down again?

boavon
Grafter

webmail down again?

Using either Firefox on a Ubuntu machine or IE8 on an XP machine or IE8 on a VISTA machine or Firefox on a VISTA machine I am having problems reading mail on one of my accounts - although some other accounts seem fine.  Perhaps my e-mail boxes are on different servers?
On the Ubuntu machine using Firefox, the error manifests itself by asking me to say which program I wish to use to read the .php file.  A quick google check suggests there is something wrong with the server.  In XP and VISTA using IE8 it simply says connection error and in firefox on VISTA it just has a blank page with no errors when opening an e-mail.
I will raise a ticket as it may just be my specific e-mail box which is corrupt - but others may be suffering also.
59 REPLIES 59
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: webmail down again?

Webmail work OK for me (Firefox on Vista).
David
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just checked and working fine using Firefox with XP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I'm with the OP - cannot read any mail item using webmail.
Get a list of mail items, click on one and get a blank screen.
IE6 on XP.
Guess its a server problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Have just called the support desk - stunning service, phone answered after 2 rings!
This problem has been reported by 5 people in the last hour.  The desk needs 10 calls to call in support... so if you are experiencing this problem, please raise a call on teh CSC.  There is currently no reference for this, but it is the #1 topic on the internal forum.
Cheers,
Townman.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grumpybob
Grafter

Yup, that sums it up: Webmail down AGAIN.
I first tried at about 1600hrs today and the problem is still (8 hours later as I write this) present.
If I use Firefox (version 3.6) I get the normal view showing my folders, list of individual emails, etc. but, if I click on an email I just get a blank white screen where the email text should appear.
If I use IE (version 7.0.5730.13IS) I get the same as with Firefox but, when I click on an individual message I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
This is really frustrating. I rely on webmail and I can't (won't) tolerate these frequent losses of service.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

If you are still having problems see if you can get your mail from here:
webmail
I've used it on occasion.  It's a bit slow but works.
boavon
Grafter

Just logged in on my ubuntu machine with Firefox 3.6 to find in my e-mail a response from the support team to my ticket along the lines of that they could not replicate the problem and suggesting a few more self-help stuff.  Rather typical of a PN response.  But the key thing is, I was able to read the message!  I'm off to check through XP and VISTA but I suspect I will find the same that all is now fine.  Nothing whatsoever has changed from my end - although I will check whether my router disconected snd reconnected itself - just to rule that out.  I will feedback later - but I'm just a little annoyed that it takes so long to fix and nobody at PN seems to think this is an issue for them.
boavon
Grafter

Just checked my VISTA machine and all OK there too.  Also router was not disconnected and reconnected.  I am left to conclude that it was something within the PN infrastructure - probably a mail server.  Anyone elses working or not?  I'll go back to my ticket response and see what PN have got to say for themselves.
grumpybob
Grafter

Plusnet CSC posted a reply to me re. my ticket at 0850hrs this morning. It says:
"Many thanks for bringing this matter to our attention, and I am sorry to see you are encountering problems. Our networks team are already aware of this issue and have are working on this issue.
I have added your account to the open problem as an example.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance."
I tried my webmail a few minutes ago and it seems fine now.
boavon
Grafter

It's down again for me today 7th March at 07:00.  Exactly the same problems.  The problem is not my end.  Come on PN, admit this time that you have an issue - even if you cannot pinpoint it.  We can sympathise with intermittent problems.  Would love an enduring solution though.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just checked mine and it's working fine.
community
Grafter

After a year or so of losing my hair on the Plusnet mail service, squirrel AND roundcube, I think I now have the answer for getting your plusnet mail super quick.
I subscribed to googlemail and their relaying my plusnet mail is super quick!..even tell me when it is there..with a little icon on the tray.
boavon
Grafter

Many thanks Community for the advice I may give it a go.  The only problem I have with that is that it adds another layer and when things go wrong which layer might it be?
Should have added that I raised a ticket, but no reponse as yet (understandable) other than the automatic acknowledgement.  But the good news is that all is now fine?  The mystery as to why may reveal itself.  We will see.
twentythree
Grafter

I've been experiencing a possibly related problem. On different computers (using Firefox 3.6) the webmail is so slow as to be almost unusable. Opening the list of emails or moving back to it after reading an email can take over a minute. This has been happening for about a week now.
Is anyone else experiencing this?