cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waitrose email on ipad

Merluza
Grafter

waitrose email on ipad

I've been trying to set up email on my iPad. I've followed the instructions posted related to the iPhone and to a point it works. The trouble is that all I see are the emails sent by Plusnet which are mostly quite old and, alarmingly, one telling me that my emails have been archived and will soon be deleted, this only shows on the iPad not in my regular mailbox. I don't see new emails either, the one I sent to my Plusnet mailbox didn't show. I am still using a Waitrose address that was continued after I switched to Plusnet when Waitrose used that service, I don't know if they still do, but I wonder if this has something to do with it. Anybody have any ideas and can somebody from Plusnet tell me if my old emails are at risk of deletion. It occurred to me that it might be looking at the normal Plusnet email account which I haven't set up and not noticing the Waitrose variety.
Thanks
Jim
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: waitrose email on ipad

Hi there,
What's the date on the email regarding the archiving? I can't see it on your Plusnet account so it'll depend when it was sent as to whether or not anything's been archived.
By the sound of it, you've configured your iPad to collect your emails via POP3 rather than IMAP? If that's the case, it'll be downloading the emails - so as soon as you've got them on the iPad you won't be able to get them from any other device as the iPad will be deleting them from the server (after saving them on itself of course). I think that's it rather than the Waitrose email address getting in the way at all.
If you could advise when the archive email was sent we'll be able to advise further regarding how close they are to deletion, but if you're logging in to collect mail on any device (iPad included) then they'll all be safe. We only archive if a mailbox remains unused for some time, I believe 3 months.
Merluza
Grafter

Hi, Thanks. The date was 02/11/2013 and the email said that as I hadn't logged in for I don't remember how long and the emails had been archived, it may even have said that since I hadn't logged since Nov 2nd it had done it. I first tried the IMAP route, which is when I first saw the email about archiving along with the other Plusnet emails, them deleted it and tried the POP3 with exactly the same results. I deleted both of them from the iPad so I can't check the exact wording without setting it up again. It seemed odd that I was getting old Plusnet emails such a payment notifications, but nothing else. It seemed that it was looking at different location and I thought it was maybe looking at the regular Plusnet email, although I haven't set that up, rather than the Waitrose email. I'd also thought that I just needed to point it somewhere other than the regular Plusnet server.
Merluza
Grafter

Sorry my last message is a bit garbled. So the question is if I can't access my email using the standard Plusnet configuration does this mean I can't set it up to work with my account or do I need different a config. i.e. a Waitrose one? As I said both IMAP and POP3 produced the same results. As the POP3 didn't download anything I'm hoping it didn't delete or archive anything. Any info gratefully received.
Thanks,
Jim
Merluza
Grafter

Ok, I've done this again and what I am getting are messages sent to myname@myname.plus.com, the messages are all from Plusnet and all except the one telling me that everything has been archived are cc'd to the correct email address which is myname@waitrose.com. The rest works fine, sends happily, doesn't receive because nobody uses it except Plusnet. I just forwarded an email to myname@myname.plus.com and it appeared like a good un. There is obviously a missing link here which is presumably on Plusnet's server. Can this be solved or should I just give up?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, what link is it that's missing? Are you saying you'd like us to send all your Plusnet related mail to your Waitrose address?
Merluza
Grafter

Hi Matt,
My original ISP was Waitrose. When I switched to Plusnet I asked if I could retain my Waitrose email address and was told I could. So everything has been fine but when I put the info into the iPad to connect to my email I get only messages from my not-used Plusnet address. The emails sent to the @waitrose.com address don't show so the Incoming Mail Server information isn't correct and is pointing in the wrong place. I think all I'm looking for is the correct Host Name for my Waitrose address.
Thanks,
Jim
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Got it (the name on the account is different, which is why it was confusing me, should have checked username really - d'oh!)
Anyway, the incoming mail server for both IMAP and POP is mail.waitrose.com - hope that helps. Outgoing (should you need it) is smtpmail.waitrose.com.
Merluza
Grafter

Sorry, I shouldn't ramble so much. I'll give it a shot tonight.
Thanks,
Jim
Merluza
Grafter

Thanks Matt, got it.