cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to send emails since moving to plusnet

northend11

unable to send emails since moving to plusnet

I have just signed up to fibre on plusnet from ee. My email address is ........wanadoo.co.uk.  Since setting up my new broadband I can receive emails but cannot send  I get different reasons depending whether I am on port 25 or another one recommended through google  On port 25 I get the message " mail server sent an incorrect greeting cannot connect to server.......  error 10060.".  The other message tells me to check my email address.  Has anyone ideas on how I can solve this problem?  Thanks.  John R
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: unable to send emails since moving to plusnet

Have you changed the SMPT server setting to relay.plus.net
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi John,
A warm welcome to the forums.
There are a couple of answer to this problem, Jim's is one which will work, though some might argue not entirely ideal.
If you intended to continue using your wanadoo email address, by using the PlusNet SMTP server, you are using an 'alien' submission agent for your email address.  Ideally you need to sort out the problem of connecting to your wanadoo SMTP server.
As some things to check out, does your wanadoo account allow you to use their SMTP server if you do not have a subscription account with them?  You might find that using port 587 and the same user name and password which you use for the inbound server might help.  Post 25 is always likely to be a problem if you are not connected to the wanadoo network.
If you opt to use the PlusNet SMTP relay service, you need to configure it as follows...
Server: relay.plus.net
Port: 587
Use authentication using account user name and password
Do not use SSL
HTH
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since my solution works very well when connected to Plusnet broadband without messing about with advanced settings what is wrong with it
Why is an "alien submission agent" of any relevance
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Jim,
I did not say it will not work, simply some might argue it is not ideal.  Huh
Ideally the SMPT belonging to the sender's email domain should be called upon to do the message submission.  It has the ability to verify authenticity of the sender and (if more universally enforced) thereby aids the inhibition of generating spam email.
I have a number of email accounts and for each I always use the provider's own SMTP service.  It keeps things tidy, especially for support if anything goes wrong.  As for relevance, if any SMTP provider were to decide that they will no longer relay for another (alien) domain (not an unreasonable action) then there would be no impact.
As I said, there is nothing wrong with your suggestion, however it does require 'messing about with the advanced settings' in that it requires asymmetric inbound and out bound server domains.  It requires both wanadoo and plusnet servers to be concurrently accessible and serviceable to function.  For me it just feels untidy!  Wink
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.