cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to recieve emails on plusnet

bill4725

unable to recieve emails on plusnet

I decided today to move all my email to plusnet having switched several months ago (I wanted to make sure that the broadband worked ok first) but Im unable to recive emails from any source the webmail is working ok as I have recieved all the emails from plusnet indicating that my monthly direct debit was about to be taken but from any other source the emails are just not appearing I have sent test messages from my other email accounts and they dont appear I have used the plusnet address to register at various websites and the confirmation emails have not appeared.
the emails I sent to my plusnet address appear to send correctly no error messages or failure to deliver notifications they just dissappear
set up the plusnet address on MS live and have the same problems there
any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: unable to recieve emails on plusnet

Clarification questions
Do you have the incoming mail server as mail.plus.net
As you have set up a number of new email addresses on Plusnet have you set the accounts on your PC in the form of username+mailbox name
Alternatively are you trying to receive emails from a third party such as gmail. If this is the case you would need to set the incoming email server to that of the email address provider
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are the messages appearing if you log in via the web interface?
bill4725

firstly @ oldjim : I only have the one plusnet email account and address and I don't understand what your saying about setting the email server to the email address provider nothing from any source gmail or otherwise is able to get into my inbox
@HPsauce no their not appearing in the web interface or in windows live (however windows live does show the plusnet payment emails so its definitely talking to the server ok)
Im completely at a loss
I should have added that I sent a test email to one of my other email account and recieved it no problem but the reply back to the plusnet account just dissappeared into the ether
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Let us consider only the gmail address which you have
You need to set up an account in MSLive with the settings as given here for POP3 http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f/Gmail_POP3_Settings.htm
Regarding the emails sent to your Plusnet  email address which appear in webmail but not in MSLive
Have you set up an account in MSLive for that address as given here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ depending on which version of LiveMail you are using
I don't understand this bit
nothing from any source gmail or otherwise is able to get into my inbox
in conjunction with this
I sent a test email to one of my other email account and received it no problem
unless that was via webmail also
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think the mention of gmail and MS Live has got things confused...
Plusnet service emails are sent (at least in my case) to postmaster@<myusername>.plus.com  The email settings available in the PN Member Centre show that this is an alias for my one email address <myusername>@<myusername>.plus.com
Questions:
Have you set up any other email addresses on your account?
Are you putting .com instead of .net on the end of your address?
Does the email identity in the webmail interface have the correct email address specified?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

A simple test:
Take an email that has been received, e.g. from PlusNet
Forward it to another FULLY WORKING email address that you have access to (another of yours, or a friends)
Check that arrives. Check what email address it came from.
Send a REPLY and see if there are any errors.
See if it arrives back in webmail.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This test assume that the identity (Personal Settings|Identities) is set correctly in Webmail...
bill4725

Quote from: HPsauce
A simple test:
Take an email that has been received, e.g. from PlusNet
Forward it to another FULLY WORKING email address that you have access to (another of yours, or a friends)
Check that arrives. Check what email address it came from.
Send a REPLY and see if there are any errors.
See if it arrives back in webmail.

you sir get the gold star and go straight to the top of the class

turns out that my mailbox was displaying Current mailbox: username@username.plus.com but the first bit should'nt have had the numbers cant work out why that would have happened during the setup if I had input a different webmail address but its changed and sorted now
noticed when I forwarded the email and checked the header, otherwise I would never have known what was wrong, thanks for the help and sorry for being a plank
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  username removed ]