cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to receive emails since 27/5/18

sparkyjay
Hooked

unable to receive emails since 27/5/18

Am I the only one that is no longer able to receive emails from accounts external to Plusnet?

It appears that all of my pop3 accounts are being blocked. Although my Gmail Imap account is still able to receive/send.

It does not appear to be my pop 3 account that is at fault because if i turn off the wifi, and use 3g on my phone, my emails come in perfectly. I have a selection of devices both cabled and wifi, and none can receive emails anymore. 

it is the same issue whether using windows live mail or android mail apps.   

What changed 48 hours ago?

livemail reports:
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10060

android email client just says unable to connect to network.

Any ideas anyone?

12 REPLIES 12
sparkyjay
Hooked

Re: unable to receive emails since 27/5/18

Just been using telnet to poke about, Smiley

It looks as if Plusnet have decided to block access to anything via port 110 or 995

Although strangely I still have access to the SMTP port 25 and 465

come on plusnet sort it out! 

This makes your system unworkable for me!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

POP3 access on port 110 to a Plusnet and an external server continues to work OK for me, and probably for others (based on the lack of reports here).

Mentioning a POP3 server you are trying to reach would enable others to check accessibility, eg using tracetcp pop3.serrver.url:110

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi @sparkyjay,

A warm welcome to the forums.

There's a lot in your posts to sort out here...

• Can you generally access other internet service over your Plusnet connection?  This error message is quite typical of a general communication / network issue
  • What is the target email service? … as Plusnet email POP3 does not support port 995
  • Port 465 for SMTP is deprecated albeit frequently used, the correct port for an off network SMTP client submission is 587
  • Plusnet does not block outbound connections … unless your account is in failed billing

There might not be anything for Plusnet to sort out here if the email service you are attempting to connect to is not PlusNet's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sparkyjay
Hooked

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

One of the servers I am trying to get to is: stourtech.com

you may have to try mail.stourtech.com (as their documentation seems to specify it both ways in different places!)

Cheers

Sparky

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sparky,

Looks like David and I made overlapping posts. His was not there when I wrote mine ... which took longer than his!! Two SUs at silly after midnight - how good does it get around here. I’ll leave David to assist on this one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sparkyjay
Hooked

Hi Townman

Yep, normal internet access is fine Smiley

Target email server is stourtech.com ( I didn't think plusnet allowed ports other than 110, but I thought I'd check! Wink

Interestingly my smtp port is set to 25 and this sends mail without problems still

Kind Regards

Sparky

sparkyjay
Hooked

Thanks buddy

sparkyjay
Hooked

I don't believe it,

Sorted now, it was the bloomin VDSL router. 

I disconnected it from the phone line yesterday to force it to relogin to the plusnet network, to see if that helped.

What I should have done is actually turn it off and on power wise !!!!!

It was the damn router itself blocking the port for no good reason! 

All good now!

Cheers for your help

SJ

sparkyjay
Hooked

I'll now spend an hour trying to undo all the mods I did trying to work out why it wasn't working!

Bit of a strange fault though!!!!

Router was working fine apart from that, 

It just decided somewhere between 11:22 and 11:47 to block that port!!!

I don't suppose you have any thoughts why?

I'll have to keep an eye on it!

Kind Regards

SJ

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The only thing which comes to mind is that you picked up an ARIN registered IP address and your email provider incorrectly presumed you were not U.K. based and blocked the connect. It’s a hairy strategy on their part. David has more experience in this area.

sparkyjay
Hooked

Don't see how, unless my router grabbed a new IP address from the VDSL network 2 days ago and was issued an odd one! Smiley  I should have kept a record of my assigned IP Address from before I reset the router. never mind all good now! Smiley  

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Unfortunately one can only speculate on possible reasons for the observed behaviour. Because the router originally remained connected locally through the external disconnection I'd guess internal/external address translation got mixed up. This could mean local origin and return addresses no longer matched with local software generating socket errors.

Switching off the router would clear all its address tables. On restart local addresses would be (re)allocated and consistent address translation tables rebuilt.

Speculation, of course, but not implausible.

David