cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble gett kindle fire to send email

apcarroll

trouble gett kindle fire to send email

i' m trying to get my mother's kindle to send email, receiving works fine.
i' ve tried both relay and smtp.plus.net servers on ports 25 & 587. seems to set up ok but then doesn't send anything, timing out.
tried with sign- in turned on and off.
any ideas?
cheers,john
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: trouble gett kindle fire to send email

The outgoing server is relay.plus.net, ports 25 or 587 will both work. You should not need any authentication if you are using a wireless connection on a PlusNet account. You will need authentication if you're using any other wireless connection.
The authentication should not use SSL.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

apcarroll

mister W many thanks for the info, although it matches what i' ve been doing.
i may install another email app rather than using the native kindle one and see if that works.
cheers, John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I've no experience with the Kindle ( Fire I assume? ) but I had no problem setting up the normal mail client on my Nexus 7.
The most likely issue is that you have some authentication selected for outgoing server and have not got the username/password correct. The defaults that the mail client tries to insert aren't correct.
You either need your main plusnet username and password ( the one you use to login to the members portal ) or username+mailboxname and mailbox password ( as used to loin to webmail ).
Hope that helps 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mseries
Grafter

Quote from: apcarroll
mister W many thanks for the info, although it matches what i' ve been doing.
i may install another email app rather than using the native kindle one and see if that works.
cheers, John

That would be worth doing. I am reading your thread because I wasn't able to send mail with my Android phone using the preinstalled app. I installed a new email app and it works as expected.