cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thunderbird address book

godricbj
Grafter

thunderbird address book

I am trying to use the plusnet webmail address book to sync to Thunderbird's address book. There is an option to connect to an external LDAP in the Thunderbird address book options. See link below.
Can I use this with plusnet?
Is there a better way of syncing a plusnet webmail address book with Thunderbird?
Is there a "Howto" on the plusnet website that covers this and maybe other address books, like android phones?
There is an  example of where I think I might be going at
https://howto.adams.edu/index.php/Thunderbird_-_Add_LDAP_to_Address_Book
Please forgive me if this is already covered, but much Googling has produced more questions than answers!
Many thanks in advance
godricbj
5 REPLIES 5
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: thunderbird address book

Another optiion , you could Export your contacts from PN webmail in vCard format, Then import them into Thunderbird
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

godricbj
Grafter

Many thanks for your suggestion.
I have to say that the object of the exercise is "intergration".
I am trying to achieve a situation where the plusnet webmail roundcube system is the centre point of a multi item email approach.
I need to have more than one mailbox, visable on android phones and tablets, intergrated with access to webmail and a pc based thunderbird client.
At the IMAP level this looks very do-able.
It is access to a central address database with these multiple platforms using roundcube, LDAP or plugins, that I am trying to achieve. A situation where you send an email at one point in the system, it gets recorded as an email address in the central book automaticely, and is then an available as an address on all client hardware.
Should be possible?Huh
Thanks again.
godricbj
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi,
Quote from: godricbj
I am trying to use the plusnet webmail address book to sync to Thunderbird's address book. There is an option to connect to an external LDAP in the Thunderbird address book options. See link below.
Can I use this with plusnet?

No, I'm afraid not. We don't offer a directory service that you could use it with (I doubt many ISPs do). There will be dedicated third party email providers that support LDAP, however you'll probably be expected to pay for the privilege.
Quote from: godricbj
It is access to a central address database with these multiple platforms using roundcube, LDAP or plugins, that I am trying to achieve. A situation where you send an email at one point in the system, it gets recorded as an email address in the central book automaticely, and is then an available as an address on all client hardware.

There may be ways to do this using plugins etc. but it's likely to be very messy. I guess you could install a Thunderbird plugin to act as an LDAP connecter to a Google account and then have each of the phones signed into the same account. Sending email from a device isn't going to automatically add the recipient address as a contact though. Neither does a solution like this help where the Plusnet Webmail platform's concerned.
I don't think Android supports LDAP natively, although I'm sure there are probably apps that offer the functionality.
IMO, the problem with the multiple apps/plugins/workarounds approach, is the additional points of failure you introduce. It only takes a software update or problem with one of the apps/plugins etc. to bring the whole thing crashing down.
You might want to consider looking for an email provider that offers something like Active Sync/Exchange because there's not going to be much you can do with our Roundcube install aside from manually importing/exporting data like Mike has suggested Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

godricbj
Grafter

Dear Bob,
May I thank you very much for your time in supplying this wonderfully complete answer. It almost feels like a "YES"
I know, as they say, the answer is "NO", but I quite understand why it is what it is. Roundcube was a big leap forward. I just wondered if there was any chance of clearing the last fence and making it to the finishing line. C'est la vie.
However, while the matter is hot, can I make one more suggestion that would improve the functionality of the address book by a massive amount.
Its here... as a serverside plugin and just means that any email that makes it to the Sent box, from what ever source, has its email address added to the address book... automatically.
http://code.crapouillou.net/projects/roundcube-plugins
"Overview
The automatic addressbook plugin collect each address you send an email to and records it in an address book, making it available for later use or auto-completion."
This would be a great gift because it would mean any item using the roundcube platform to send an email would have a record of the address available "online" by phone' tablet or PC.
Good or what.
Just an idea.
Thanks to all
Godric BJ
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks for the plugin suggestion. We'll certainly consider it when we next get the opportunity to update the core Roundcube install.
Edit 28/09/15: One of the folks on the helpdesk nudged me about this the other day and asked me to post an update - Unfortunately there's been no movement. There's also elements of uncertainty over the future of Roundcube and the direction it will head in in the not too distant future. We've been ambling for some roadmap space to give the mail platform some attention over the last year or so, but sadly it's taken a back seat to other higher priority items.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵