Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the sending mta's poor reputation

FIXED
TW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: the sending mta's poor reputation

Thank you for the clear explanation - I thought that must be the implication.
With only having Linux systems I haven't worried about infections but now I see why an interest needed to be taken in any URL's etc in the rejected message's content.

I'll try sending the message again, both with and without the included URL and see if there is any difference at the NZ end.

TW
Rising Star

1. I have sent the same message (the originally returned message) to the original recipient but edited to give three variations.
    1 - just plain vanilla text
    2 - including an URL
    3 - including an URL and some text delimited with "/".

All three were returned immediately saying in each case:-

Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation.

The same message, via google, to the same address had no trouble.

It seems that NZ really doesn't like or trust plus.com

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Our relay servers are coming back clean on an RBL check, so if this is still happening, you'll need to take it up with the recipient's postmaster.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bobpullen,

Given that's the virtual IP for relay.plus.net is that a valid report?

Looking at one of the real servers - avasin07.plus.net - reports two black listings. When I recently checked out the avasinXX.plus.net severs below 20, most of the 01-09 servers were on one or more black lists.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

avasout01-08 .plus.net are shown as clean on the anti-abuse list used by Bob. 01 and 06 appear on the backscatterer list referenced by MxToolbox. If the OP's correspondent's ISP is using something like that they are trying to set the internet to rights, and causing their users and correspondents to suffer in the crusade.

I think Bob's suggestion still applies - to establish the source of rejection.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

David,

Seems a lot of email services use backscatter. The organisation I provide some email support to virtually came to a standstill due to a backscatter blacklisting. We could not get email out to many domains - especially gmail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TW
Rising Star

Fix

I tried using my plus.com account to contact another NZe -, in the same town as my original contact but with a different provider - and had no difficulty.

My contact said:-
"I know someone else on es.co.nz whose access to email stopped as the "es.co.nz" changed to become "yahoo.co.nz".
I tried this substitution with my contact's address but still had instant return.

Things are obviously in flux with es.co.nz and Plus.com therefore seems not to be at fault despite the allegation.

Thank you all very much for your help.

TW
Rising Star

Still the same problem with my messages to NZ being returned with:

"Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation."

Plusnet  tell me that the rejecting IP is owned by Vodafone NZ not as I thought, Yahoo, but they don't seem to able to make any progress - while gmail to this address has no problem.

It is irritating, but I'm beginning to believe Plusnet when they say 'it's not of our doing'..never-the-less I may have to consider a change of ISP (if  I could get a guarantee of successful delivery!).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you a recent example of one of the rejected messages with full content of the email/headers etc.? (you can munge any personal info as you did last time).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TW
Rising Star

Thanks Bob - this is a nuisance only for this address..I can - and now do, by default, use gmail for this.

Messages, using my plusnet address, to other recipients do not have any trouble so I accept that it's an antipodean problem, not a local one.
I attach two files comprising my (yesterday's) returned message - I had to detach the eml file to edit it - but it should have all the data...

Best solution is to persuade my correspondent to change his ISP....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information (email) removed from txt files in a public

forum.

(Thanks for that...!)

rahewitt
Grafter

Sorry, I didn't post anything on here 3 weeks ago, as it fixed itself within a couple of hours.

However, it's started again today.

Hopefully I've fully annonmised the attached failed email reply from PlusNet.

Let me know if you need any more information

TW
Rising Star

So, rahewitt, thank you for that message.

It provides evidence that it's not just an antipodean problem relating to a domestic address.
Plusnet should be concerned even more now, seeing that it involves an official address!

Perhaps it is plusnet after all?

I don't think that there is very much that we individuals can do, seeing that it is a system problem, not of our making.

rahewitt
Grafter

So I guess what we need to get to the bottom of is:

Is it PlusNet not being proactive enough to get the addresses removed from or not put on the blacklist in the first place.

or

Is it organisations using a blacklist that doesn't take enough care to avoid false alerts?

TW
Rising Star

This problem (at least mine, problems with return from an nz address) is being investigated by the Plusnet Help Team.

However they do not seem to be getting anywhere - but, in fairness, probably not due to lack of their effort but more to do with lack of cooperation from those ISP's that they question.

When I use my gmail account there is no problem...so that is what I do with that address!

So I think it is your (b):-

Is it organisations using a blacklist that doesn't take enough care to avoid false alerts?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@TW wrote:

Messages, using my plusnet address, to other recipients do not have any trouble so I accept that it's an antipodean problem, not a local one.

I concur. The example you provided was bounced back from 'avasout08' and that server isn't on any of the popular blacklists. Seems that the issue is with the recipient using dated/inaccurate blacklists. Either that, or they've some in house blocking that we've fallen foul of.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team