Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the sending mta's poor reputation

FIXED
TW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

the sending mta's poor reputation

Messages sent through your servers are usually received without problem.

Today however they are rejected due to 'the sending mta's poor reputation' and returned.

Sending the same message via gmail is without problem.

What's up doc?

34 REPLIES 34
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: the sending mta's poor reputation

Hi @TW,

Could you provide the full error message and email headers please (Making sure to blank out any personal addresses/information)

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
TW
Rising Star

Thanks Harry,

I attach an image of the headers etc from the returned message. 

I have deleted the message body and two attachments, an image(jpg) and a pdf file, from this message.

I hope this data is adequate and I'm grateful for your help.
As I remarked, the same message + attachments went via gmail without problem

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for the delayed response. I've flagged this up with the relevant backend team.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rahewitt
Grafter

Getting this today with my place of work not accepting emails from my home email address.  Is this PlusNet or my employer that's causing this issue?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is this still happening? One of the Plusnet relay servers was on a block list for a while earlier. It should be OK now.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@rahewitt,

It depends ... I have just checked PN's MTA (mx.avasin.plus.net) and it is not black listed.  However from other environments I support I am aware of some mail sever operators (receiving systems) using less than reliable BLACK LIST services which deem perfectly "good" MTAs to be black listed.  This arises out of a combination of using out of date data and poor quality tools for blacklist management.

To know what is in play here, we would need to see the full (but redacted) rejection message.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TW
Rising Star

Two test messages, with attachments, to the same recipient have arrived without fault.

Whatever the problem was it has now, for me, disappeared.

Hoorah.

TW
Rising Star

Oh no it didn't........

See below for a repeat to the same address....

Do I need to say that gmail worked like a charm....so I reckon it must be Plus that has a bad reputation?

Should I be moving elsewhere?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The returned message headers etc are shown below....

X-Account-Key: account8
X-UIDL: UID1273-1368807886
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-path: <>
Envelope-to: *****.plus.com
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:22:55 +0100
Received: from [212.159.8.109] (helo=avasin07.plus.net) by inmx11.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1dWepK-0007VF-Fi for jfw@ironscar.plus.com; Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:22:55 +0100
Received: from avasout08.plus.net ([212.159.8.109]) by avasin07.plus.net with Plusnet Cloudmark Gateway id lLNq1v0012M8tp801LNuqH; Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:22:54 +0100
X-CM-Score: 0.00
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=EPN26xRC c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=bdZabQ9++H60Oh8CADQTDA==:117 a=6e7zS5Y-ZlkA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=ZJBQcd3GU851oevA_6MA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=5gAHEAVLXvAA:10 a=gvrY1LONAAAA:8 a=hugVtwSbDsaMGIAcVKUA:9 a=hj8g7XMter7PqO6T:21 a=O0DyeZoiDvQQnqtR:21
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:22:54 +0100
To: jfw@****.plus.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; boundary="------------I305M09060309060P_318415001933740"
Message-ID: <E1dWepK-0007VF-Fi@inmx11.plus.net>
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error.
** The remote server 203.109.135.49 responded with:
** ****@**.co.nz 554:Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation.
If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout08.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more thoughts Plus ????

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Any chance you can PM me the full unedited version of that message so we can get this looked at further.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TW
Rising Star

No, I won't do that: it contains medical references for the recipient only (I hope).

I will send a PM with an edited, vanilla, version if you wish.

I do appreciate your efforts to help but, as I have said, there is no problem when I use gmail with the same message...

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We'd need any email addresses or URLs left intact as it's likely to be these causing the issue. Other information from the body of the message shouldn't be an issue if it's removed

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is not so much that plusnet servers have a bad reputation but rather the use of plusnet servers - by users having inadequate AV controls - has given the servers a questionable reputation.

HOWEVER it is not unknown for email servers using poor quality black list checking services to incorrectly deem a server to be black listed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TW
Rising Star

Thank you for the review of possible causes;
you made the point about black lists some time ago and, as I am uncertain what 'inadequate AV controls' means, I am unable to assess whether that might apply to my system.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Inadequate AV systems essentially means not having defensive software to mitigate against the potential of infection from undesirable software ... which is then used to blast out emails via the attacked PC.

I had not intended to imply that this applied to your system and that the absence of such on your system might specifically cause the problem you are experiencing.

The infection of one system exploiting the plusnet email relay service could be sufficient to damage its sender reputation for everyone. An email system I provide user support for, used by just a few hundred user had two accounts hacked ... resulting in the (single) outbound smtp server becoming all but unusable to any email service running aggressive anti-spam filtering.