cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tangled email

Eserim
Rising Star

tangled email

OK, I have a domain, let us call it mydomain.co.uk.

The management of renewals is via 1&1 and I have a basic package, no hosting, but I  can set up emails.

It was originally registered with Plus Net and the pages that it displays are hosted there.  It is listed under "My Domains" in the PN Web pages.  The DNS settings in 1&1 are "ns1.force9.net, ns2.force9.net" which hits the Plus Net servers with requests and I guess then routed internally to the required folders for both http and email traffic.

On Plus Net I have set the EMAIL to then redirect to Microsoft (Outlook now, but the MX record ends 01bc2a.pamx1.hotmail.com.) - this was set up when MS allowed you to do this, they don't anymore.

I am no longer fussed about the web content. All I want is email to Mydomain.co.uk to be accessible.

So, if I reset the DNS record in the 1&1 control panel to the defaults do I need to do anything in the PN control panel?

I this understanding correct?

Cheers

Eserim

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: tangled email

If you set the name servers for the domain in the 1&1 control panel to use 1&1's name servers, you will need to configure your DNS settings over there.

IIRC you will not be able to direct the web page requests to the Plusnet website.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Eserim
Rising Star

Re: tangled email

Ta - as I said - web pages no longer relevant, just want to slowly remove reliance on PN for the redirect to Outlook.

I guess I can then set the MX address in the 1&! to go to the MX address I currently use to preserve the Outlook integration, or simply use the 1&1 IMAP box.