cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

struggling with redirects

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

struggling with redirects

I've tried to redirect my plusnet addresses to my sky mail account so I just have to check one account but I get a strange message about alias address which I don't understand and it put me off changing anything.
There would be one (my wife's) that I wouldn't want to change, but my original one (alias??) and the one I set up I do.
I tried searching but just got more confused.
Can somebody give me an idiot proof way to redirect both addresses - I suppose the alias one is less important (if it's difficult) as only Plusnet account info ever goes there?
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: struggling with redirects

Aliases, mailboxes and redirects are all mutually exclusive i.e. they cannot exist at the same time.
e.g. if you have a mailbox called 'bob' then you cannot then create a redirect for that address without first deleting the mailbox.
Note that the deletion of a mailbox  will delete any received email for that address that's still on Plusnet's servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

OK, thanks for that but I'm no further on and didn't really understand that or what I do next  Embarrassed
The key phrase was 'idiot proof' ?
When I look at my list there's 4, one from my sign on name so lets say its fred,  I've got the following...
postmaster@fred but next door it says the address is fred@fred which it says is the alias?
glencoe@fred.plus.com
enterprise@fred.plus.com
fred@plus.com which it says is the default
so can I make all of them except enterprise go to my sky account, and if so how?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
so can I make all of them except enterprise go to my sky account, and if so how?

Right, using the naming convention from the preceding post, you currently have three mailboxes:
1. The default mailbox that is accessed using 'fred' as the username. This collects email addressed to a postmaster alias as well:
postmaster@fred.plus.com   -->   Default mailbox
fred@fred.plus.com 

2.  A second mailbox accessed using the username 'fred+glencoe'. This receives email addressed to:
glencoe@fred.plus.com  -->  Glencoe mailbox

3. A third mailbox accessed using the username 'fred+enterprise'. This receives email addressed to:

enterprise@fred.plus.com   -->   Enterprise mailbox 

You're only concerned with the first two, so we'll ignore the third.
As mentioned previously, a mailbox and a redirect *cannot coexist* so first step is to delete the 'fred' and 'glencoe' mailboxes.
For the 'glencoe' mailbox this should be fairly simple by clicking the 'delete' hyperlink next to the mailbox on the 'Mailboxes' tab here. (this will delete any email currently on the server for this mailbox)
For the 'fred' mailbox, you'll notice there's no 'delete' option? This is because it's the default mailbox. You'll need to rename it instead by clicking the 'rename' hyperlink. Call it 'fred1' or something like that (this does not delete any email from the server). The 'postmaster' alias will be automatically updated to point to the new 'fred1' address.
You are now in a position where you can create redirects to the Sky email account. To do this, click the 'Redirects' tab, add a new redirect and enter 'fred' as the redirect name, and the Sky address as the destination address. Repeat the process for the 'glencoe' mailbox.
The last step is to change the 'postmaster' alias to a third redirect to your Sky address. Now I know that this used to be possible simply by creating a redirect to override the alias but I'm getting errors now when I try doing that on my own account Huh
If you're not to bothered about the postmaster alias then I'd leave things at that and just make sure we have a reachable contact address for you here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for the time and patience Rob, off to try it now Smiley
But just one thought... when you say 'delete' Glencoe for example, what will happen if somebody sends an email to that address once I've deleted it?
(I just want to redirect an address not delete it)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You are deleting the mailbox for 'glencoe' and replacing it with a redirect. So mail to 'Glencoe' is redirected rather than stored on the Plusnet server. Hope that explains it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.