Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange codes on emails

jbcplusnet

strange codes on emails

I quite often get email messages such as:
Dear  Blair,
Wonderful!    W hat you can do with a pc if only you knew how.   Thank you so so much Â.
....your story of life during ‘the Troubles’, and how it was threatened a number of times, reached the hearts of the many significant people you met in that war-torn country.  The proposal of a visit to meet Jim’s friends .....
I can never find a way to change this. Any advice please? 
7 REPLIES 7
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: strange codes on emails

You usually see this with differences in encoding. If your email client has an option to view the email in a different encoding, try out any of the 'Western' ones to see if the email shows correctly.
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these emails ones that you want to receive, or are they unwanted SPAM from some foreign sender ?
jbcplusnet

I use Eudora as my email client, and Firefox (latest) as my browser. I can't see any way of changing what you suggest in Eudora  but I've tried a change in Firefox.
jbcplusnet

Thanks. They are not usually unwanted junk mails.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What's the version number of Eudora you are currently using? I don't know much about Eudora, seeing as I've never used it before but I can probably look things up for you.
That's RPM to you!!
kdiment
Rising Star

I use Eudora too, and like it, but am frustrated at not finding a way around this evident encoding/decoding problem.
There is, I am sorry to report, some bad news. On a Mozilla website you can find the following announcement:
"Note: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE. Furthermore, the last released version is based on an old version of Thunderbird which is no longer supported, has many bugs and performance problems, known security issues, and its community support forum no longer exists. ~~ Current or potential users of Eudora OSE might like to try Thunderbird as an alternative email program. Although of course the user interface and features of the two programs are not the same, Thunderbird has an active support community, and its features and UI can be improved with addons, which in some cases add pieces of Eudora-like functionality."
That implies that any problems will never be fixed, so it looks as though we Eudora users will, sooner or later, have to change to Thunderbird or some other email client. I believe that Thunderbird can import things like the address book and all email folders containing messages from Eudora, so the change might not be too painful.
Years ago I recommended Eudora to others and installed it on their machines, so I might find myself making the change several times over.
Hope that helps, although it is probably not what you wanted to hear.
- Keith
jbcplusnet

Thanks Keith.
That is good to know. I remember Eudora had said something about an alternative Eudora being available and looking at the Eudora website now I see there was the proposal to launch Eudora OSE named Penelope, closely linked and on top of the Mozilla Thunderbird codebase. But I see that was dated 2010 so it may be out of date. I have used Eudora for I can't remember how many years and have always liked it. But as you suggest it may be time to change over to Thunderbird soon. I have tried it in the past so know a little about it.
Blair