cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spamhaus pbl?

IanSn
Rising Star

spamhaus pbl?

Wondered why my inbox has been empty since Monday.
Message received when trying to send to my PlusNet email address -
"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  "JunkMail rejected - 123.131.90.146.dyn.plus.net
(myname-iMac.local) [146.90.131.123]:58879 is in an RBL, see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=146.90.131.123". Please check the message recipient myname@myname.plus.com and try again."
What?!?!?!
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL986102
Also -
Error that SMTP settings are wrong, when nothing has been altered and has worked fine for couple of years.
Anyone got any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: spamhaus pbl?

Quote from: IanSn
Message received when trying to send to my PlusNet email address...

Send to your Plusnet email address from where? Using what email application and using what outbound server address?
"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  "JunkMail rejected - 123.131.90.146.dyn.plus.net
(myname-iMac.local) [146.90.131.123]:58879 is in an RBL, see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=146.90.131.123". Please check the message recipient myname@myname.plus.com and try again."

Your IP being on that list is not unusual. It simply dictates that you should be sending outbound messages via our SMTP servers (or a third party's) rather than directly from your machine.
It also doesn't look reminiscent of an error I'd expect our email platform to return if you tried sending a message to a Plusnet email address? Huh
Error that SMTP settings are wrong

What does that error tell you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

IanSn
Rising Star

It was sent to my PlusNet address from my own computer, using Thunderbird, via my own address on my own domain's email server.
The usual 'tester' that one might perform to make sure an address is working ok?
Quote from: Bob
Your IP being on that list is not unusual. It simply dictates that you should be sending outbound messages via our SMTP servers (or a third party's) rather than directly from your machine.

SMTP for my domain is mail.mydomain.com. Been using this for 7 years with no problem - including testing PlusNet address when I first joined.
It also doesn't look reminiscent of an error I'd expect our email platform to return if you tried sending a message to a Plusnet email address?

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.
What does that error tell you?

It tells me that my SMTP settings have been the same for two years and have worked fine until now, so there is a query on that, and should ask what the problem might be on the PlusNet forum.
Can anyone give some advice please, without biting my head off?
I appear not to be receiving any messages on my PlusNet addresses, since Monday morning
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a question - please don't take this the wrong way as I am struggling to understand the problem - where is your domain hosted or is it hosted on a server on your connection
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't see Bob 'biting your head off' - Just digging into the detail of what you wrote.
The error you've described is because your SMTP server is rejecting your sending address as it is on a spam list.  If this has worked in the past it shows that either the spam list has been recently updated or your mail server config has changed.
However, the fact that you cannot send via your SMTP server is not, in its self, indicative of the problem of your not receiving any mail.  Incoming mail will (obviously) not be coming from you blocked PN IP address but be coming from any number of different servers.  If these are also being rejected as spam then it shows that your mail server config is incorrect (or the spamlist being used includes all hosts!)
I'd take this up with your hosting provider and, in the meantime, try sending yourself mail from an alternative address ie Gmail etc.
IanSn
Rising Star

@Jim -
My domain is hosted with Vision Internet in Cheshire, nothing to do with this connection or PlusNet. I just used that address to initially test if there was something wrong with the PlusNet server as I'd had no mail since Monday morning. That was when this unexpected (and not understood) error showed up. It seemed at first that it was PN that was rejecting the email.
But it appears to think I'm sending from this machine. Re-checking the account settings on Thunderbird to see if something might have gone awry showed everything as normal - SMTP mail.mydomain.com
@pwaton -
Yes, sending via outlook.com delivered the message ok.
And have received it ok as well so, yes, I have no idea why my mailbox has been empty since Monday!
I was curious about the error message itself - why does it point at my own computername and my router's IP? Found that quite alarming.
At this point my brain becomes mangled and was asking for an explanation from the experts.
I'll drop my hosting provider a line.
EDIT -
Hmm, just received emails on my PN account for the first time since Monday...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you don't have any joy with your hosting provider Ian then raise a support ticket containing details about the specific addresses you're sending to/from when you get these errors. A little more can probably be established with that information.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

IanSn
Rising Star

Server issues on host. All sorted now.
Got different error messages depending on which provider the message was sent to. The PN one was the most spectacular!