Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp server timing out

bluewhale
Rising Star

smtp server timing out

hiya,

i'm unable to send emails right now

Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

known issue?

cheers

pete

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: smtp server timing out

Must be just you, @bluewhale - I've just sent two test mails to accounts on two different platforms (iCloud & Yahoo) both sent and received OK

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bluewhale 

Hi there,

As @jab1 states others are not having issues with the service.

It would help to know the answer to a number of questions...

1. How is the device which is failing connected to the internet?
  2. What is the device?
  3. Can it connect to other internet resources?
  4. What email application is being used?
  5. What is the exact message?

There are a whole host of issues which might give rise to this (misleading) message, including a line fault.  Many email applications will report an error message which does not reflect the problem being encountered.  For example any failure to successfully connect to the server might be reported as a password failure.

Your SMTP settings should be...

• Server: relay.plus.net
  • Port: 587
  • Encryption: STARTTLS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluewhale
Rising Star

it's not me, it's intermittent and is now working again, i first saw the issue last night i think

the error is what i posted in the first email, ie a timeout, ie not being able to reach the smtp server

note that i ended up using another smtp server which worked fine...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What is your device and how is it connecting to the internet becomes a paramount question here.

A device not on the Plusnet network has the strong potential to be using an IP address which has a bad SMTP reputation and therefore cannot connect to PlusNet's SMTP services.  I have seen a WiFi hot spot in my local pub suffer from this.  Someone sends spam emails whilst connected to the internet in the pub and the pub's IP address gets black balled for 24 hours.  Everything works fine for a while until someone again abuse the service.

The same can happen with 3G/4G connections … it has also been seen on some PN dynamic IP addresses.

"Its not working" does not help us to assist you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.