cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp outgoing server for Galaxy S2 on Vodafone?

dhod

smtp outgoing server for Galaxy S2 on Vodafone?

I have managed to set up my S2 to receive my plusnet e-mails but I cannot send e-mails. I have tried all of the following smtp server options (all with port 25) but to no avail, can anybody help?
relay.plus.net; smtp.vodafone.net; smtp.360.com (port 465); send.vodafone.net; smtp.vizzavi.co.uk; mail.vodafone.net; mail.vizzavi.co.uk
Thanks in anticipation.............
Darren  Angry
22 REPLIES 22
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: smtp outgoing server for Galaxy S2 on Vodafone?

I don't think vodafone are providing an smtp facility any more according to this http://www.brightpointuk.co.uk/sending-email-smtp-vodafone-uk
You ought to be able to send using the plusnet one ( relay.plus.net ) as long as you use authentication.
Use the same details for username/password that you would use to login to the PlusNet webmail. You should uncheck any 'Use SSL' box and use port 25. Beware that the userid/password are sent unencrypted.
You can find more discussions on 'authenticated smtp' here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96345.0.html
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just hooked up my Galaxy S2 via Vodafone over the weekend.
For outgoing SMTP I used relay.plus.net port 25, no security.
For username and password I used my Plusnet username and password (not the username+mailboxname settings).
This seems to work in all cases.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

For username and password I used my Plusnet username and password (not the username+mailboxname settings).

Either will work now. The problem with using your main account username/password is the security risk that your account details are sent unencrypted. Using the username+mailbox and mailbox password is slightly more secure, especially if you create a mailbox ( say mobile ) specifically for this use , with its own password. I don't believe that the mailbox name used for smtp authentication needs to be the same one as that used for incoming mail, but I stand to be corrected...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dhod

Cjags/MisterW,
thanks for your replies, it all sounds straight forward but I still cannot get it to work. Aaaaaaaaargh!
I have tried different permutations but keep getting different error messages......
Just in case I am doing something wrong here are the settings I have tried:
Incoming server settings-
user name- 'username+mailbox'
password- 'corresponding password'
POP3 server- mail.plus.net (presume POP3 is correct and not IMAP?)
security type- none
Port- 110
delete e-mail from server- when i delete from inbox
outgoing server settings-
SMTP server- relay.plus.net
security type- none
Port- 25
require sign-in- (if I leave this unchecked it completes the set-up but then when I try to send from my outbox it says'connection error'), if I check the sign-in box and enter either my 'username' or 'username+mailbox' it will not complete set up and i get a message saying 'set-up could not finish, username or password incorrect- 535......authentication rejected)
Hopefully I am doing something obviously wrong................
thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@dhod,
So does collecting your mail work with those settings ?
Just to confirm
POP3 is mail.plus.net port 110
or IMAP is imap.plus.net port 143
Outgoing SHOULD work with those settings!
You can double check your username/password combinations be logging into webmail with them ( http://webmail.plus.net )
One thing, you DO have a subscription ( i.e non-free ) broadband account with PlusNet don't you ?
Authenticated SMTP is ONLY permitted on subscription accounts.

dhod

MisterW,
I am receiving mail OK, its just outgoing that doesn't work.
I no longer have a subscription with Plusnet, I just use the free webmail service. This may explain why it doesn't work but my wife has a separate mailbox on my webmail account and I successfully set up her Galaxy S1 months ago and she can receive and send e-mails from her PlusNet mailbox without a problem.
dhod
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's odd that your wifes setup works. Have you tried using her username/password for the outgoing server on your S2?
Basically , authenticated SMTP is only available to subscription accounts, so any username/password not associated with an account of that type shouldn't work.

dhod

my wife is on the O2 network and her outgoing server is smtp.o2.co.uk, this obviously wont work for me on Vodafone.
I wish i knew of all these problems before i bought the phone........!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

my wife is on the O2 network and her outgoing server is smtp.o2.co.uk

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were saying that your wife used the PlusNet smtp server with her username/password.
You are absolutely correct o2's server won't work from Vodafone.
From what I can find, Vodafone should still have an smtp server, send.vodafone.net, although it seems as though it can be a bit flakey.
The other alternative is to subscribe to an authenticated smtp server service such as http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/pricing.php

dhod

using 'send.vodafone.net' has brought up a message 'unable to connect server', is it still Port 25 and security none?
If all else fails are you suggesting that if I subscribe to an smtp server service this should sort the problem and I can still receive PlusNet webmail e-mails?, sounds simple.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I really can't find a definitive answer as to whether send.vodafone.net is still in existence or not. An nslookup gives an IP address, and if its still usuable then I would assume it uses port 25.
If all else fails are you suggesting that if I subscribe to an smtp server service this should sort the problem and I can still receive PlusNet webmail e-mails?, sounds simple.

Yes, something like the authsmtp service provides access to their smtp server from anywhere. When you subscribe, you get a username/password which allows you to authenticate with their server (like the PlusNet one does with a subscription service) and send mail via it from any network. Some mobile networks block access to port 25 so the authsmtp service even provides access to their server on an alternative port to circumvent the block. Additionally they provide SSL encryption ( unlike PlusNet ) so that your username/password are sent encrypted. 
When using authsmtp you configure your incoming mail server (POP or IMAP) with the Plusnet server details and the outgoing one with the authsmtp details. Thus you can collect your PlusNet email ( which you have discovered is already possible! ) from the PlusNet servers and send via the authsmtp server.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

1. Create a google mail account for yourself.
2. Use the google mail server for sending email.
Advantages:
It's free
Can use secure connection.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: MisterW

Either will work now.

Even if you are not on the Plusnet network?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@cjags,
Yes, you can send through the google mail server BUT it will replace the FROM: and REPLYTO: in any outgoing emails with your google mail address.