Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp authentication from other networks

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

smtp authentication from other networks

When out and about with my laptop, I cannot connect to the PN smtp server from another network (a particular one that I happen to use often).
I was told by PN support on the phone that smtp authentication is no longer available from other networks.
Surely not?  Shocked
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: smtp authentication from other networks

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect I have already given an answer to you about this on the PUG forums:
[quote=http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7113.msg90858.html#msg90858]
It's not true - SMTP authentication is still supported. I suggest you post a ticket number so that one of the Comms team can identify your account, see who you spoke to and educate them accordingly.
Are you trying correctly? You must use the user name and password that you use to log in to the portal, NOT the mailbox username and password. Also you must have SSL turned off.
It's most likely that the reason for your problem is not PN but that the outgoing port 25 connection is being blocked by the network you are trying from. That is not at all uncommon.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

Thanks for the info Peter - but could you give feedback to support that smtp authentication is still supported  Wink
As jelv said:
It's most likely that the reason for your problem is not PN but that the outgoing port 25 connection is being blocked by the network you are trying from. That is not at all uncommon.

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

I've just had  a reply to my ticket (number: 34346232 )
The following comment was added to the Question Dear Mr ... , Thank you for your query. I can confirm that SMTP authentication has been disabled and is no longer available to any customer. As such, you will need to contact the administrator of the network in question to find out which SMTP server to use.

!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I can't believe know Plusnet would not have withdrawn a feature like this without making a service announcement. The responses you have been given are WRONG!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Well, I'm 'any customer' and its working fine for me!
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

Seems they went into total bs mode.
Now...
Please accept my apologies for my last response. I provided you with incorrect information due to the fact that when looking at your account type I saw "Pay As You Go" and assumed you were not on a subscription based account. I now realise that this is incorrect and SMTP authentication is definitely available to you

Apart from the bs about not available to any customer, I've been with pn for years, always on a subscription and never payg!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry you were given incorrect information, I'll pass some feedback on internally.
I've been with pn for years, always on a subscription and never payg!

We did used to sell a subscription broadband product called Pay As You Go.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.