cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup problem

oliverbury

setup problem

]I am unable to setup email on my new tablet. Lenovo S8-50 running Android 4.4.2.
It tells me it needs to use ssl but cannot do this. My phone works fine on P!usnet but that is Android 4.2.
Any help, please?
Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: setup problem

There should certainly be a way around using SSL. I'm fairly familiar with Android and have never seen a stock client force it. I take it this isn't of any use? Is there an option to configure things manually rather than use a setup wizard?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

oliverbury

Thanks for reply.
No, that is for 4.1, which works fine on my phone. This is 4.4.2, the latest. It will not let me setup on an insecure connection.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When it tells you it needs to use SSL is there an option to "continue setup anyway"? Perhaps marked "try again" which allows going on next time.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: oliverbury
No, that is for 4.1, which works fine on my phone. This is 4.4.2, the latest. It will not let me setup on an insecure connection.

I'd still be really surprised if there's no way of bypassing it Huh
I've used every version of Android between 4.4.2 and 6.0 and as mentioned, I've never seen the stock client force SSL.
I suppose another option would be for you to use something other than the stock client?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Which email client are you using?  Stock Android, as Bob mentions, usually allows security type 'none', this is still the case on the latest Android 5.1.
Do you have the latest GMail app?  That appears to also allow setting up POP / IMAP accounts (with and without security), otherwise you might need to try a 3rd party Android Email appt: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/best-android-email-apps/22475/very-best-android-email-ap...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
oliverbury

Hello again. Thanks for all replies.
Using stock email programming I
I can setup all details as normal but as it tries to connect to server, it replies with "unable to connect safely with server".
Using gmail (version5.5.101116392), the response is "needs TLS but available on server".
So I am still stuck at that point.
Thanks.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do your settings look like the attached?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
oliverbury

Yes except there is no option for no security on my system.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Bob
I suppose another option would be for you to use something other than the stock client?

Hi Bob,
Or get SSL fixed on the PlusNet email platforms.  How is this progressing please?  I recall your hope that it would be delivered as an early Christmas present... for 2014  Wink
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oliverbury

Thanks to all on here. Problem now fixed.
Very technical. In the end it proved to be due to a thick operator!
Sorry about that. I was simply using wrong username.
How stupid can I get?
Put it down to age.......
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

...worry not, it has happened to all of us. Unfortunately it tends to happen in the middle of another significant change!
Glad to hear that you are sorted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Townman
Quote from: Bob

Or get SSL fixed on the PlusNet email platforms.  How is this progressing please?

Slowly. Although I can tell you that it has passed internal testing. Next step is to make some load balancer changes to open it up to the outside world for closed testing. I'm on leave from the end of this week until the end of September, but will try and spur some movement on my return.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team