cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up my existing outlook 2010 email adresess

vrs
Hooked

setting up my existing outlook 2010 email adresess

I have just joined plus net and only my email adress registered with plusnet works.

I use outlook 2010 with 4 adresses which are gmail accounts. How do I get these accounts to work.

have given up waiting for plusnet as i cant ever get through inless i wait sa long time.

Have looked at outlook 010 set up instructions but not sure as my accounts are gmail.

Any help ?

11 REPLIES 11
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: setting up my existing outlook 2010 email adresess

This is not a PlusNet problem, Gmail Accounts should work through any ISP.

Are these accounts set up properly In Outlook ?  File ¦ Options ¦ Account settings

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have a look here for how to setup Gmail accounts with Outlook, It's not as straight as just adding the account info.

vrs
Hooked

Hi,

Yes accounts all set up correctly.has been  working fine on talktalk for years and stopped thurs when I transferred to plusnet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @vrs

A warm welcome to the forums...

...accounts all set up correctly. has been  working fine on talktalk for years...

So to be clear you are using the EXACT same Outlook 2010 configuration now, as you were using on Talk Talk - with ZERO changes?

In what EXACT way does it no longer work?

• Cannot receive email (Gmail) ?
  • Cannot send mail (Gmail) ?
  • What error message do you see and what were you trying to do which give rise to the error?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vrs
Hooked

I have 4 goggle email address that I acces via outlook 2010. Everything work ok before change to PlusNet.

I have not changed any settings in outlook 2010

I can only access one email address now. This is the one that I provided plusnet with to contact me.

The other 3 have exactly the same settings as the one that works

When l go into outlook 2010  it  continually ask for log in and password for each address that is not connecting  and gives me  message- contact https//support.google.com.mail/account/answer/78754  which is a web log in failure.

The address that I gave plusnet was not the primary email address in google.

I have not set up a plusnet email address.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK - so this is NOT a problem with Plusnet email services ... which is the primary purpose of this support forum.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229 (the corrected link you sought to share above) is not about WEB log in failures, but about remote email client login failures ... such as the one you are encountering.

Gmail is a real pig to set up for remote access - I take it that you can successfully login to all of the email accounts here - gmail.com

I recently set up a device to remotely access Gmail ... to get it working I had via direct access to the Gmail account using a web browsers...

One point about setting the above options is that ... they are only available using the FULL DESKTOP version of the web interface to Google mail.  I spent ages accessing Gmail using Safari on a table ... only by accident / interest did I switch to the DESKTOP version ... and found the access to the above functionality.  Until enabled, attempted Gmail connectivity reported as an Authentication failure ... helpful not!!

There is some possibility that the status of Outlook 2010 (quite old now) has been changed to "less secure" ... which given I encountered it on a fairly recent iPad would not surprise me.  AT times it does all rather seem that Google do not want people to access email off-line using standard email clients.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

If it all worked with the previous ISP it should still work moving to PlusNet.

@Townman Is it worth checking the broadband firewall in the members centre ?

Don’t if it’s on by default or which ports may be blocked. 

vrs
Hooked

thanks guys  I will give this a go

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I agree, if it used to work, it should still do so ... which is what is so perplexing.

Firewall is more about inhibiting unsolicited INBOUND connections, not out bound ones.  Regardless the connections remain to / from Gmail ... and should be no change.

vrs
Hooked

Have found that by going to google and resetting my log in & passwords has cured the problem. God knows why changing ISP screwed up my gmail settings but it did.

Thanks again for all your help

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for letting us know......