cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up my email on new laptop

Gwen1

setting up my email on new laptop

I am having trouble setting up my Plusnet email on new laptop.  Original and long-standing email account is functioning on old laptop and I receive my messages, but after countless times to set it up on new laptop found that I now only receive Plusnet account correspondence.  I presume my settings are wrong when I try and set up on new laptop.

How can I resolve the issue? I have forgotten password for functioning account so my password resets only end up with second (Plusnet-only mail) showing up. Be glad of any help. 

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: setting up my email on new laptop

@Gwen1 Welcome to the forums. Are you trying to set up mail on a client - if so, which one?

John
Gwen1

Thanks John - I'm using (or trying to) set up on Outlook

jab1
Legend

OK, @Gwen1 . Presumably your 'old' machine also used Outlook? If so, try duplicating the settings on the new one. I know little about the program itself, having never used it, but from what I have read, the later releases can be pigs to set up, as they are programmed to 'help' you, by guessing and implementing the wrong settings.

As I understand it, there is an option at the start of setup to select 'manual' or 'automatic' - I would suggest selecting manual. Also, are you setting up as an IMAP or POP3 client?

John
Gwen1

Thanks again - yes, my old machine is using Outlook - I can duplicate the settings/ports etc it's just that I don't have the password for the 'old' account (it's embedded) and any password resets I've tried have not worked. It's an IMAP account from what I can see

jab1
Legend

I'm not doubting you when you say the password is embedded - into what? - but I have never heard of that, every email client I have set up needs the pw associated with the email account you create, which includes the password creation.

As I said, I haven't used Microsoft programs for many, many years, so am totally out of touch with their implementation.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

John, i think what @Gwen1  is saying is that the 'old' email client has remembered the password.

If the email account is a 'secondary' plusnet mailbox then its password can be set from manage my mail https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail ( you'll need to login ) and then select the 'mailboxes' tab. If its a secondary one then the 'edit' link will be available to enable the password to be reset

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Good point, @MisterW . In that case, the main account password is the same as the users 'Account' password, or have I been away for too long?

As an aside, and not directed at @Gwen1 , I despair of the number of people who do not keep a separate record of such important data as passwords. I know Firefox keeps 99.9% of them, but I still have a physical, written record and a 'Word' list.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In that case, the main account password is the same as the users 'Account' password, or have I been away for too long?

That's correct.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@jab1 wrote:

… I despair of the number of people who do not keep a separate record of such important data as passwords. I know Firefox keeps 99.9% of them, but I still have a physical, written record and a 'Word' list.

In a separate vein I despair of those who use IMAP and leave important emails on a free email service to which, for many reasons, they may either temporarily or permanently lose access, without downloading or printing a copy. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

One reason I don't use IMAP for my main account(s), another being that you have restricted storage if using an ISP account, leading to the regular cries of 'I've lost my emails!'.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Gwen1 wrote:

Original and long-standing email account is functioning on old laptop and I receive my messages, but after countless times to set it up on new laptop found that I now only receive Plusnet account correspondence.

This is somewhat scant on details, but reading between the lines, one might surmise...

1. The old laptop is setup as a POP3 client
  2. The old laptop has more than one Plusnet mailbox (default and a secondary address) being drawn into a shared POP3 folder
  3. The new laptop has only had the default email address configured (to where service notices are sent)