cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up email account on android

neiljo

setting up email account on android

I've been trying to set up my email acount on a Moto G mobile phone. I followed the instructions on Plusnet but after putting in my email address password and the server (I tried both pop3 and imap using the server names of relay.plus.net or imap.plus.net or mail.plus.net) I ended up with a message saying "unable to finish - edit details". Any suggestions would be welcome
Neil
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: setting up email account on android

Hi and welcome to the forums,
The incoming server should be imap.plus.net and the username can be the email address. It used to be more difficult in that the username had to be in the form accountname+mailboxname but it now accepts the emailaddress
Just tried it on my Moto G ( using the default mail client ) and it works fine , all I had to do was change the incoming mail server to imap.plus.net, the outgoing one was fine at smtp.plus.net
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

MisterW,
Does that client default to IMAP rather than POP3 operation?
I'd also recommend setting the SMTP port number to 587 if that option is facilitated.  Some networks do not permit off-network connection on the default port (25).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does that client default to IMAP rather than POP3 operation?
Oops! I'd missed that bit, I'd assumed IMAP is selected rather than POP3.
'd also recommend setting the SMTP port number to 587 if that option is facilitated.
The MotoG client defaults to 587 so I didn't mention it...

neiljo

I do appreciate your help MisterW and Townman. I have tried several times to set up my home email several times unsuccessfully following your suggestions. So you have a complete picture I used to have my work’s email downloaded to this phone but it stopped for some unknown reason a couple of months ago. That used Exchange of course.
Is the “incoming server” the one they ask you for after email address password and selecting one of POP3 IMAP and EXCHANGE? I ask because the last entry which is labelled optional (so I have ignored it) is “imap path prefix”. If I put imap.plus.net after email address password and slecting imap as above, then there is nowhere to put the smtp.plus.net. Putting in imap.plus.net produces Port 587 incidentally.
I have obtained the following error messages if this helps, after trying different permutations:-
Set up could not finish – cannot connect to server (failed to connect to imap.plus.net/212.159.9.86 (port 587) after 10000ms)
And
Could not finish – Cannot connect to server (#500# [(“connect”, “unrecognized”])
I hope you can pick the bones out of that and thank you both for your help.
Neil
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the field where you are trying to enter imap.plus.net defaults to port 587 it looks like that is the outgoing server field where relay.plus.net (or its alias smtp.plus.net) should go. If IMAP is selected, the incoming server field where imap.plus.net goes should default to port 143;if POP3 is selected it will be mail.plus.net with port 110.
David
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok , I've just gone through it on my MotoG.
Here's the process
In the Email app
Go to Add Account
enter your email address & password
click next
select imap
change server to imap.plus.net
click next ( should show smtp server now already filled in with smtp.plus.net  )
click next until finished
Hope that helps
BTW my Moto is still running Kitkat so I hope if you're running Lollipop it's not different

neiljo

Many thanks to David and MisterW. I followed exactly what MisterW said but it couldn't finish and I got the error message. I don't know whether I have KitKat or Lollipop to be honest and I trawled through my settings but couldn't get any clue as to what the OS was except under "About phone" it said the Android version was 5.0.2. if that means anything to anyone. However I discover using the email address which I usually use which is my first and surname separated by a full stop wasn't working because I had originally set up my account many moons ago using the truncated "neiljo". So for the record I did this:-
I deleted and uninstalled K-@mail
tapped "Email"    top left there are 3 bars like = but three -  tap that
run to bottom page and tap "+ Add account"
insert correct emai as it was setup (in my case)  and Manual setup
Select IMAP insert password
change server to imap.plus.net (So far exactly as MisterW said - many thanks BTW)
Port 143 automatically
IMAP Path prefix Optional - I ignored
Security type None (automatically inserted - left that alone)
At that point it said couldn't finish as either email address or password wrong - I changed the email to correct  truncated version which I had forgotten!!
Outgoing Server I changed to smtp.plus.net
Port 587 automatically inserted
Suddenly it works. Very grateful to MisterW and all who helped. Many thanks. Going for a lie down!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

it said the Android version was 5.0.2. if that means anything to anyone
That's Lollipop ( version 5 ).
I deleted and uninstalled K-@mail
Ah! I'm afraid I assumed you were using the built-in mail client ( maybe there isn't one in lollipop? ), so that might explain why my instructions weren't quite right.
Glad you got it sorted in the end...

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear it's working now. Smiley
@MisterW On lollipop Google integrated the general email app into Gmail so the latter handles everything. All my settings migrated correctly into the Gmail app. I haven't set anything new up since then.
The previous Email app icon is still there, but if you tap it you get the message shown in the attachment.
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW On lollipop Google integrated the general email app into Gmail so the latter handles everything.
Ah! , didn't realise that. My Nexus 7 is running Lollipop but I've used k9-mail on that for some time. My MotoG is still running Kitkat since I'm waiting for the 5.1.1 update to be released before I update it. Looks like I will probably need to run k9 on that as well once it's updated.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: spraxyt
@MisterW On lollipop Google integrated the general email app into Gmail so the latter handles everything.

Just for clarity, this isn't the case with ALL devices running Lollipop, my phone (running Android 5.1) still retains the Android Mail app as well as Gmail (though, as mentioned, Gmail is now capable of handling everything that Android Mail did previously), I happen to use them both with separate accounts since that's what I was used to before.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.