cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up e-mail on android phone

rdhewson

setting up e-mail on android phone

Hi have just joined Plusnet and am trying to set up my phone.

All goes well until final outgoing screen tells me that my username and/or password is wrong.

It isn't but will not verify.

Thunderbird on laptop setup okay so anybody know what is happening?

Am stumped

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: setting up e-mail on android phone

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums. Sadly poorly written email software tends to report all connection failures as username / password failures ... which is exceedingly unhelpful.

I would suspect in this case the device is presuming SSL/TLS encryption which Plusnet does not support.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If your account is yet to be activated, then it's unlikely you'll be able to authenticate when sending email. It's a spam prevention measure.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@rdhewson wrote:

Thunderbird on laptop setup okay so anybody know what is happening?

@bobpullen - If we assume this meant sending email was successful on Thunderbird (and we can be sure it did so via the Plusnet SMTP - not some other still configured), then this is not a prior to account activation issue. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rdhewson

Just attempted to send from Thunderbird on PC and it's a no go. It all setup okay.

Will wait untill all activated and try again.

Thanks guys for info.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK that's a clincher - until your account has been fully activated (internet connected) you cannot use the Plusnet relay server. Correctly set up or otherwise, your account will not be known to the relay service.

That would make Bob's post a fix for your problem.