cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up Outlook 2019 for first time

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: setting up Outlook 2019 for first time

Hello @bladerunnerplus Microsoft's Outlook 2019 Account Settings should easy for PlusNet email, but it is not. There is a claim to have found a solution here and message 30 includes images.  Kind regards. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bladerunnerplus 

There was some toing and froing about using port 587 rather than 465,

also some about STARTTLS rather than TLS

It's all gobledegook to me !

The settings you have will work, but it can be argued they are not standards compliant.  If it is 'gobbledegook' then try googling it! Wink as the rest of us do!  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol#Security_extensions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS

The internet and email have evolved over decades and standards have changed and improved, however there is a need to maintain backwards compatibility.  This leads to a multiplicity of options … which users need to come to terms with.

Port 465 is the original SMTP port for encrypted email relay rather than using port 25 for unencrypted relay.  That port has been deprecated and was never intended for email user agents SUBMITTING email messages - that has always been the role of port 587.

Many organisations are rather bad at tidying up standards compliance thus deprecated configurations can still be found in use and operational … which can help users hang on to old bad practices, similar to using port 25 for email user agent message SUBMISSION.  The links above explains the history and the detail.

@crimsom 

@crimsom wrote:

Outlook 2019 Account Settings should easy for PlusNet email, but it is not. There is a claim to have found a solution here ...

What point are you trying to make here?  This is entirely a MS Outlook issue where the 'simplified' user interface hides the server configuration details … whilst making incorrect presumptions about what they might be.

Post #7 on that thread provides a means of accessing the detailed settings, thereby allowing a user to take control of the server configuration details.  Therefore it is not a 'claimed solution' but a solution within the product which created the problem.

There are other solutions (methods) of accessing the detailed configuration screens, as well as a method of completely turning off the simplified interface.  It is a real irony that the attempt at 'simplification' has in fact made the experience of those users this seeks to help … much more difficult.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bladerunnerplus
Dabbler

@crimsom wrote:

Hello @bladerunnerplus Microsoft's Outlook 2019 Account Settings should easy for PlusNet email, but it is not. There is a claim to have found a solution here and message 30 includes images.  Kind regards. 

Hi Crimson, thanks for this link. Much useful info here. The thread title didn't seem closest to my problem so I probably discounted it !

bladerunnerplus
Dabbler

Hi Townman

Thanks for you response and taking the time to assist.

.. my googling brought me here …!   

If only the plusnet guide to setting up email covered the Outlook2109 GUI

cheers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I understand your sentiments however this is an Outlook issue, one arising from post a service patch update to OL2016.

At what point does a service provider need to do more than specify the connection details ... and then also document every email client vaguary under the sun?

I will though ask what more might be done.

Moderators Note: Corrections made at posters request.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Townman not sure what you are trying to imply: the definition of claim includes to assert in the face of possible contradiction. So the text "There is a claim to have found a solution here" should be interpreted as someone has asserted that this thread has declared a FIX. I hope that you will not pursue the use of semantics to imply something else.

Hello @bladerunnerplus your remark "If only the PlusNet guide to setting up email covered the Outlook2109 GUI" speaks volumes of user frustration. It is unfortunate that Outlook 2019's Graphical User Interface (GUI) is not fully user intuitive. An internet search reveals that some users have adopted a different fix and intentionally use an earlier version of Outlook that is known to work with PlusNet email. Consequently the version of Outlook you use is your pragmatic choice. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Townman not sure which service provider you are referring to. In my option,

a) the Microsoft service provider of the new Outlook 2019 intentionally does not offer full support and @bladerunnerplus should note that Office 2019 will only get the occasional quality and security updates. So Office 2019 users will be stuck on whatever application feature sets they have, as revealed here,

b) the PlusNet service provider has discharged their support function and they are under no obligation to provide the 'missing' Microsoft support for Outlook 2019, and 

c) the PlusNet Community have shared their opinion. 

Hope this helps.  Kind regards. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"the definition of claim includes to assert in the face of possible contradiction"

That is indeed the very point.  Your statement implies unfounded doubt that the good advice offered is truly a 'fix' to the issue encountered.  There is no doubt whatsoever that the advice provided opens a back door, in Outlook's "trying to hide the essential details" simplified interface, which enables a user to correct the flawed mailbox configuration guess work of Outlook.

How can there be any possibility of contradiction?  Your statement seems to be dismissive of this being a reasonable fix from a helpful forum member.  You seem to imply that you believe that the solution is not good enough and is rambling ("30 images") so not simple to follow.  Where as the simple uncontradictable answer is to be found in post #7 alone.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Townman Please note that I do not use the new Microsoft Office 2019. My earlier version of Microsoft Office Professional Plus continues to provide a good Office Outlook function. Kind regards. 

bladerunnerplus
Dabbler

Thanks to all for your time, efforts, suggestions and education.

I can report that my outlook 2019 is now fully operational - well for now at least !

cheers

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @bladerunnerplus thank you for confirming that your Outlook 2019 communicates with PlusNet Email. Please consider giving the PlusNet community visibility of what worked for you. Kind regards. 

bladerunnerplus
Dabbler

I currently have things setup, for POP, in outlook 2019 to

•   Incoming server   mail.plus.net 
  •    Incoming port   110
  •    Outgoing server   relay.plus.net
  •    Outgoing port   587
  •    SSL/TLS   Auto

This is working without any authentication warning messages cropping up. I may experiment with the secure settings from the other post I enquired about if I have time.

bladerunnerplus
Dabbler

So, I dabbled to see what would happen if trying to set SLL/TLS ...

The following settings do not work :

•    Incoming port   995

This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL/TLS)

•    Outgoing port   587
  •    type of encryption connection - SLL/TLS

Outlook would not let me save the settings, it seems to me that the outgoing settings were the problem 

The following settings do work :

•    Incoming port   995

This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL/TLS)

•    Outgoing port   587
  •    type of encryption connection - Auto

Hope this helps / of use .

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@bladerunnerplus 

Thanks, that's very useful.

I think "Auto" for the outgoing server (relay.plus.net) will likely be causing STARTTLS to be chosen and this works with Port 587. The deprecated port 465 would need to be set if SSL/TLS encryption is selected.

David
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @bladerunnerplus thank you for posting your solution. Kind regards.