cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending mail using mail.plus.net from outlook express hangs at "sending message"

StarlightSurfer

sending mail using mail.plus.net from outlook express hangs at "sending message"

I notice at 10am this morning that sending mail no longer works. Sending mail using mail.plus.net from outlook express hangs at "sending message". Plusnet service status shows no fault. Please note the problem and fix it.
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: sending mail using mail.plus.net from outlook express hangs at "sending message"

Have you tried rebooting your computer
StarlightSurfer

Re: sending mail using mail.plus.net from outlook express hangs at "sending message"

Update. My Outlook Express now reports:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
Please fix the problems.
RobDickson
Grafter

Same here. Probably a problem with PlusNet's servers if it's happening to more than one of us.
in51der

Same problem here. If "reboot computer" is the best "support" we can hope for then I think this may be a complete waste of time.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are you using SMTP authentication? Our monitoring systems are flagging a problem with a few of the outbound servers in this area and I've just heard from the support centre that they're fielding a few calls. I've managed to send a message though so I'm guessing that any problem is intermittent at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobDickson
Grafter

I can send emails OK when using SMTP authentication, but not when not using SMTP authentication. I'm connected to a PlusNet ADSL connection, but it's as if the PlusNet server is blocking access because it thinks I'm not connected to PlusNet.
in51der

Not using smtp authentication. On Plusnet network so just use relay.plus.net and this has worked fine since the beginning. Now can't send at all since 9:30am.
StarlightSurfer

Update: I did a reboot, and the mail was sent OK. My reboot may or may not have been the fix. I've never, ever needed to do it before. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.
in51der

Error message now says "connection to the server was interupted" and this message comes back instantly.
in51der

Mine is working now too. No reboot required.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: in51der
Same problem here. If "reboot computer" is the best "support" we can hope for then I think this may be a complete waste of time.

Don't forget that Jim is a forum mod, not a member of staff. If you want official support then you're best off contacting us via the official channels. We've a problem raised on this one now (ref: 70904) and I'll have a service status announcement out shortly ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: StarlightSurfer
Update: I did a reboot, and the mail was sent OK. My reboot may or may not have been the fix. I've never, ever needed to do it before. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.
Well it worked  Roll_eyes
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Problem has now been fixed, the mail daemon on the outbound servers threw a wobbly. We're not sure why and are still looking into the root cause. Everything should be back to normal for you guys though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RobDickson
Grafter

"threw a wobbly" - I haven't heard that expression for a while. Nice to see the old technical language still being used.
Everything seems OK now.
Thanks for your help.
Rob