cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending from btopenzone (smtp)

cks

sending from btopenzone (smtp)

I have relocated for a few months to a place with a btopenzone wifi connection.
Web and incoming mail works fine.
The problem is configuring the smtp to work with Mail on my Mac 10.6 and not relying on Plusnet SquirrelMail which, as most would agree, is a pain to use any longer than necessary.
I have tried a few things with smtp including of course <smtp.btopenzone.com>
The guy who owns the place uses aol webmail so has never had to work out smtp.
I take it it's not any block on the part of Plusnet?
Unlikely as on previous relocations smtp to orange or aol have all worked fine for me.
I sent a query to btopenzone several days ago. No reply.
Some web trawling since then suggests opening a BT-Yahoo account and getting it verified.
I have a yahoo webmail account to which BT-Yahoo keeps directing me to, but once there cant see any way of configuring smtp. Why would it, it's webmail.
G-friend tried opening and 'verifying' a new bt-yahoo account but nothings happened in 36 hours or more.
At the bottom of this page
http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt
it says:
For your non-BT email addresses, you won't be able to send mail using our mail server (mail.btinternet.com) - please refer to your ISP for further advice about sending mail.
Is it just a block that BT puts on non-BT users to punish them for not being BT users?
thanks for any ideas
cks
PS. I searched the forums but only found half a dozen refs from many years ago
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: sending from btopenzone (smtp)

On Openzone you ought to be able to use smtp.btopenzone.com OR you can use authenticated smtp via the plusnet server.
See section 6 'Can I use my Plusnet email address if I'm not connected at home?' in this faq http://www.plus.net/support/email/common_questions.shtml#connectedElsewhere and follow the links as neccessary...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

It's not clear from your post whether you have set up the Outgoing Server (SMTP) to use Authentication. Which you have to when using a Non PN connection. The Username and password has to be for the main email account and not any mailboxes you have set up.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

My advice would be to read through our FAQ and use SMTP authentication.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Your (PlusNet's) SMTP authentication is INSECURE.
It's not rocket science to implement secure authentication.
I have done it in the past on my Linux box in about half an  hour so your boffins should be able to sort it out.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
It's not clear from your post whether you have set up the Outgoing Server (SMTP) to use Authentication. Which you have to when using a Non PN connection. The Username and password has to be for the main email account and not any mailboxes you have set up.

Actually that's not the case anymore.  You can authenticate against the SMTP server using the username+mailbox and mailbox password credentials. Try it and let me know how you get on.  This can be very useful if on a public network and you don't want to use your main account password.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As I've posted elsewhere - why wasn't this very significant change announced?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've touched on that here jelv.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵